Bed covers do they help with mpg?

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Discussion' started by Chicagotaco, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Chicagotaco

Chicagotaco Active Member

Just curious those of you guys that have had a truck by adding a hard tri-fold or vinyl cover do you get better MPG with one ? Thanks guys

pauljboudreau likes this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. dirtytaco

dirtytaco Well-Known Member

They do. It creates less drag. It’s not going to make you rich from the extra mpg saved, but nonetheless, it does help a little

Chicagotaco likes this.
  4. bdarnold12

bdarnold12 Well-Known Member

Dropping youre tailgate or removing tailgate and getting one if those nets to replace it will basically have the same effect. The covers, hard or soft, look much better and add a measure of security for stuff in tbe bed.

Bogunn and Chicagotaco like this.
  5. texasred

texasred Well-Known Member

Scott Wyman, Bogunn, tacofan and 4 others like this.
  6. OP
    Chicagotaco

Chicagotaco Active Member

texasred likes this.
  7. texasred

texasred Well-Known Member

Actually, I was looking for an article from 4 Wheeler magazine from the 80s when tailgate nets were the rage, but this will do.
    It DOES go against tactical thinking, but there it is.
    I agree that a locking bed cover is worth the 1.5 mpg.

8. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Agreed 100%.

Scott Wyman and texasred like this.
  9. Scott Wyman

Scott Wyman Well-Known Member

If you have something worth stealing. Mine is loaded and unloaded the same day so its empty 99.99% of the time. A cover would be purely aesthetic for me. Not worth it.

B-Man and Bogunn like this.
  10. JDC

JDC Member

A soft tonneau cover could pay for itself in no time. To conclude the argument, some sites say a tonneau cover will save you 10-15% on gas. According to the aforementioned studies, a cover will actually save you closer to 6% based on what type of cover and how you drive.Oct 1, 2019

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Scott Wyman likes this.