Bed rail question

LIazard

Other than mounting a tonneau cover, what is the purpose of the tracks on either side of my 2017 Access Cab bed.

I'm thinking of removing the tracks and installing a D-ring at each screw.

Can I mount a shell without the tracks? Is there metal under them and on top of the bed sides?

Other than mounting a tonneau cover, what is the purpose of the tracks on either side of my 2017 Access Cab bed.

I'm thinking of removing the tracks and installing a D-ring at each screw.

Can I mount a shell without the tracks? Is there metal under them and on top of the bed sides?
A cap will mount on top of the bed rail tops. The mounting rail system has quick release tie downs that usually come with the truck. If you bought it used the previous owner may have put them in the storage areas behind the seat or in the bed. Look around you might find them. Also you can use T-nuts to mount stuff on the rails.

The stock tie downs look like this. 571F6BA4-8661-47F8-BC38-8E7A02156127.jpeg
You can also mount D-rings under the bed rail system you don’t gave to remove it.
0AD7E925-D53C-4526-BE96-F9B55D8EC76E.jpeg

Thanks! But looking at that nut on Amazon, I guess I'm not getting how they work. Doesn't a bolt threaded into it go all the way through and out the other side? What pulls it out against the track? For example the ones that come with the truck the bolt is mounted so it pulls the t-nut out.

Last edited:
Thanks! But looking at that nut on Amazon, I guess I'm not getting how they work. Doesn't a bolt threaded into it go all the way through and out the other side? What pulls it out against the track? For example the ones that come with the truck the bolt is mounted so it pulls the t-nut out.
The ones that came with the truck have their own mounting system. The T-nuts are a completely separate mounting point for stuff, you’d have to buy them.

"You can also mount D-rings under the bed rail system you don’t gave to remove it."

I like that option. Thanks. I do have the original tiedowns but had forgotten about them!

Back