Best bang for the buck mods?

Jack Straw

Hey all! I have a 2015 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4 and I’d like to try some light off-roading - fire and service roads, nothing too crazy, but enough to take my wife and dogs out and feel like we’ve left the city. Recently I went from 265/65/17 road tires to 265/70/17 ATs and the truck already has a nicer, more rugged appearance. My question is this: for the trail riding I’ve described what, if any, upgrades would be the best? A locking rear differential? An assault bumper and / skid plate? A suspension lift? Fortunately the truck is paid for but money is still tight. Also, I’m not a wrench at all so anything that I get done would have to have done by a shop. Any suggestions for other mods that aren’t as pricey but still good to have? Or maybe just get a .308;)?
As always your help is appreciated - thanks gents!

These trucks are very capable stock. Service roads or fire roads your current set up should be fine. The best thing to do is go out on some and see how it handles.
I would probably do suspension upgrade before bumpers or lockers. The likelihood you’ll need a locker on fire roads or service roads is slim. But without going out and exploring some you won’t know what you need.
.308 sounds nice.

These trucks are very capable stock. Service roads or fire roads your current set up should be fine. The best thing to do is go out on some and see how it handles.
I would probably do suspension upgrade before bumpers or lockers. The likelihood you’ll need a locker on fire roads or service roads is slim. But without going out and exploring some you won’t know what you need.
.308 sounds nice.
Is there much difference between the Sport and OR models for 2 gens? Besides the rear locker?
Also, I believe I have the limited slip diff on my truck - does that do anything for off-road?

Is there much difference between the Sport and OR models for 2 gens? Besides the rear locker?
Also, I believe I have the limited slip diff on my truck - does that do anything for off-road?
The offroads have bilstein 4600 shocks. The limited slip can help off road some it’s nothing like having a rear locker.
You could upgrade the shocks to bilstein 5100’s and it can give you some lift and will handle better off-road. It’s about $600-700 to have a shop swap them out.

Back