Better mpg?

DeerSlayeR

All I know is the hypertech programmer to save some mpg. im hearing good things about them. To my knowledge nothing for around $300 can give you some mpg. Any help

There aren't programmers out there for Tacoma's because Toyota encodes their software. The URD MAF cal is the closest thing but that won't improve mileage.

The best mod for mileage is the right foot mod.

Last edited:
My research has bore these results:

Addition of:
*suspension lift
*larger tires
*armor
*Flippac camper

Results:
Significantly reduced gas mileage.
-------------------------------------------

Addition of:
*a strong tail wind

Results:
Significantly improved gas mileage.

I look for the new Tacoma's to be lower to the ground in order to get better gas mileage. Most of the new models of trucks are lower than the ones it replaced. Trucks are not shaped right for gas mileage. I saw some picks of the new Colorado and looks like a car with a bed. Cars are the best place to get better gas mileage sorry for the vent. I just like how high the tacoma is off the ground in stock form. It is able to go off of the pavement the day you get it. Again sorry for the vent.

My buddy has a 00 4 runner and he said that he is getting more than 20 mpg around town with a v6, my 2001 with the 2.7 is hardly getting 16. He said that he puts premium in it and that's why he is gettin better mpg, could this be true?

My buddy has a 00 4 runner and he said that he is getting more than 20 mpg around town with a v6, my 2001 with the 2.7 is hardly getting 16. He said that he puts premium in it and that's why he is gettin better mpg, could this be true?

Nope, he is actually getting less MPG using Premium in it. The 2000 4runner has a 3.4L V6 I got 23~5 MPG in my 2000 PreRunner Taco with the same engine using Regular unleaded.

The reason is it's flash point is lower and he uses more to run the engine which it's not meant for. Unless he has some serious knocking/pinging he's wasting his money. Premium gas is designed for high compression engines, not the run of the mill workhorse.

2000 Toyota 4Runner: Recommended fuel:regular unleaded

One of many sites that explain this.
http://www.cartalk.com/content/premium-vs-regular-0

The best way to increase mileage is by doing regular maintenance, and by doing the posted speed limit. Or right foot mod. You like to speed then expect less mileage and/or speeding tickets.

Back when the 2nd gens first came out the manual would say use 91 for best performance. It has since changed to 87 or up and nothing about more or less performance using a different octane. I used 87 up until recently. I noticed a slight ping when driving under a heavy load(ac on, half throttle and a hot day) so I started using 91 since then only because of this. I tried 91 before and I didn't feel a difference and my mileage stayed the same.

Upgrade to 4.0L
Crazy sounding, I know, but I was getting 21 MPG with my 2003 3.4L Access Cab Stock. I traded up to my 2011 4.0L Dub Cab Stock and consistently get 23 MPG!
Same driver. Same habits.

Back