Bilstein 5100s and 265/70/17

AverageJoe

Good morning,

I have found all kinds of info regarding Bilstein struts/shocks and fitting 265/70/17, but I wanted to clarify a few things to make sure I understand properly.

The TRD Off-Road comes with Bilsteins, but they are 4600s and aren't adjustable, I believe.

The 5100s are adjustable so I should be able to take some of the rake out if I choose. 265/70/17s will fit with zero modifications but if I get the new 5100s, will I need springs too or are the shocks enough to avoid any rubbing during articulation? I do plan on going off-road, but nothing crazy like the Rubicon Trail or anything like that.

Would I be required to do anything with the rear leafs or just swap out the struts/shocks, toss some 265/70/17 KO2s on TRD pros or FN f(x) wheels and hit the road?

Last question: if it truly is just a matter of adding new struts/shocks and 265/70/17s, if I decide to add a winch at some point, will I just be able to get heavier rated springs from lets say OME and be done? I don't necessarily want a "lift", I just want a little extra clearance when off-road and I won't be going any larger than 265/70/17.

Thanks in advance!

Joe

Thank you, that's what I thought I was reading, just wanted to confirm.

Do you know if I can add OME springs if I get a winch? If it's possible to add OME springs up front, I assume I'll want to do something with the rear leafs to keep it consistent, right? I have read AAL or Dakar, but I believe the Dakar is for lifting. Do they make a leaf that can accommodate additional weight like a rack and RTT or is that what an AAL is for? Sorry for the questions, I'm a former Jeep guy and it's been a few decades since my last real truck.

Thank you, that's what I thought I was reading, just wanted to confirm.

Do you know if I can add OME springs if I get a winch? If it's possible to add OME springs up front, I assume I'll want to do something with the rear leafs to keep it consistent, right? I have read AAL or Dakar, but I believe the Dakar is for lifting. Do they make a leaf that can accommodate additional weight like a rack and RTT or is that what an AAL is for? Sorry for the questions, I'm a former Jeep guy and it's been a few decades since my last real truck.

You can go OME springs. If you intend to wheel, maybe look at the full OME setup.

You can go with Wheeler's leaf packs that are designed for more weight with minimal lift. However, if you can I suggest getting a trailer for the RTT to keep the weight off of the truck.

“Full OME setup” is that front and rear springs and shocks? The biggest I would ever consider is 33s but for now I’d like to stick w/265/70/17s and see if they work for the type of off roading I’m planning on doing (overland). However you mention keeping weight off the truck, is it really that sensitive w/a rack and RRT? I don’t plan on being gone for weeks at a time so the gear would be pretty minimal for a long weekend type of trip.

If the “full OME setup” is springs and shocks, does the Tacoma require anything else to fit 33s comfortably without trimming or driveline adjustments, etc?

Thanks!! I appreciate your help/input.

Joe

Back