Buy back and lemon law

OR17TRD

Purchased a new 2017 Tacoma hoping it was going to be the truck that took me into retirement. My plan was to keep it for the next 20-30 years as I only drive 5-6k miles a year. Within 650 miles the front differential and needle bearing was replaced. Over the next 16 months and 7000 miles the truck would go into the shop for a total of 38 documented days and I would wait at the dealer for over 27 hrs. Waiting on TSBs for hard shifting from revers to drive, LCA holes whistling, wind noise from door seals, axel wrap, transmission updates, rear differential gasket replacements, seat wobbling, hesitation of the motor going up hills, jerking when reversing and more transmission updates.
I would call corporate and let my case manager know each event that was happening. Making sure it was all documented and hoping for a fix. Eventually I was given an 8 year 125k mile warranty for my troubles.
Lots of the issues I was told at the time the truck was “operating as designed” however many of them turned into TSB’s later on. I guess enough of us had the issue and called corporate.
After the 5th attempt on the rear differential leaking recall, I was done. I couldn’t do it any more. I took it into my local dealer and I was going to trade it in. After working up a deal financially it didn’t make since. I couldn’t trade it so I put it for sale. After a month of trying to sale it I called my case manager 7/18 and requested for them to go into arbitration for a buy back under lemon law.
13 days later, I got a letter saying My request got sent over to a Region Customer Relations Consultant for review. I was also sent a letter saying if I wanted to contact the 3rd party arbitration company I could.
I contacted an attorney about the lemon law process for my state to get more knowledge about what was included and what I was going to have to forfeit.
I was contacted by the customer relations consultant multiple times throughout the process. Very nice and easy to work with. I finally received an email on about 30 days later saying “We have investigated your case thoroughly and have come to the decision to Voluntarily Repurchase your 2017 Toyota Tacoma. Please see the attached Proposal for your information and review. At your convenience, please scan and email a copy of your current registration. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact our office.”0640046E-51E1-44F4-A277-B16E48923C6C.jpeg

There was a simple form that needed to be filled out. 46FA1664-C109-4921-A4CA-394183A03792.jpeg I completed it and sent it back. I waited.
I sent a few emails inquiring about the process and where we were. Finally after another 30 days I received an email with a settlement offer. 92AF5F2C-775D-45E7-BB93-693638F36C09.jpeg I also received notification for guidelines regarding the condition of the vehicle. C4B0366C-ABB3-4B3E-B674-52286566B3EA.jpeg
I was sent a settlement letter with all the numbers on it. After review and final negotiations I signed it. I was told the next step I would be contacted by a third party that handles the surrender of the vehicle.
8 days later I was contacted by a Reacquisition Coordinator and told I would be contacted by a Transfer Agent.
One week later the transfer agent contacted me and let me know what to expect and they were ready to meet me. These where attached to the email. A15A3144-1DEF-4F0D-9A3F-955D24A44DA3.jpeg 3FE19EC0-78E0-474C-A171-18680C683606.jpeg It took about about 4 months from start to finish. I feel like Toyota has taken care of me and was fair with the buy back. I will say that the mileage deduction is more than I thought it would be. Now I know why vehicles depreciate so much. I will continue to do business with Toyota.
Know your states lemon laws. Keep all your receipts and service documentation. If it isn’t documented it didn’t happen.

Purchased a new 2017 Tacoma hoping it was going to be the truck that took me into retirement. My plan was to keep it for the next 20-30 years as I only drive 5-6k miles a year. Within 650 miles the front differential and needle bearing was replaced. Over the next 16 months and 7000 miles the truck would go into the shop for a total of 38 documented days and I would wait at the dealer for over 27 hrs. Waiting on TSBs for hard shifting from revers to drive, LCA holes whistling, wind noise from door seals, axel wrap, transmission updates, rear differential gasket replacements, seat wobbling, hesitation of the motor going up hills, jerking when reversing and more transmission updates.
I would call corporate and let my case manager know each event that was happening. Making sure it was all documented and hoping for a fix. Eventually I was given an 8 year 125k mile warranty for my troubles.
Lots of the issues I was told at the time the truck was “operating as designed” however many of them turned into TSB’s later on. I guess enough of us had the issue and called corporate.
After the 5th attempt on the rear differential leaking recall, I was done. I couldn’t do it any more. I took it into my local dealer and I was going to trade it in. After working up a deal financially it didn’t make since. I couldn’t trade it so I put it for sale. After a month of trying to sale it I called my case manager 7/18 and requested for them to go into arbitration for a buy back under lemon law.
13 days later, I got a letter saying My request got sent over to a Region Customer Relations Consultant for review. I was also sent a letter saying if I wanted to contact the 3rd party arbitration company I could.
I contacted an attorney about the lemon law process for my state to get more knowledge about what was included and what I was going to have to forfeit.
I was contacted by the customer relations consultant multiple times throughout the process. Very nice and easy to work with. I finally received an email on about 30 days later saying “We have investigated your case thoroughly and have come to the decision to Voluntarily Repurchase your 2017 Toyota Tacoma. Please see the attached Proposal for your information and review. At your convenience, please scan and email a copy of your current registration. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact our office.”View attachment 21712

There was a simple form that needed to be filled out. View attachment 21713 I completed it and sent it back. I waited.
I sent a few emails inquiring about the process and where we were. Finally after another 30 days I received an email with a settlement offer. View attachment 21714 I also received notification for guidelines regarding the condition of the vehicle. View attachment 21715
I was sent a settlement letter with all the numbers on it. After review and final negotiations I signed it. I was told the next step I would be contacted by a third party that handles the surrender of the vehicle.
8 days later I was contacted by a Reacquisition Coordinator and told I would be contacted by a Transfer Agent.
One week later the transfer agent contacted me and let me know what to expect and they were ready to meet me. These where attached to the email. View attachment 21716 View attachment 21717 It took about about 4 months from start to finish. I feel like Toyota has taken care of me and was fair with the buy back. I will say that the mileage deduction is more than I thought it would be. Now I know why vehicles depreciate so much. I will continue to do business with Toyota.
Know your states lemon laws. Keep all your receipts and service documentation. If it isn’t documented it didn’t happen.
I'm glad they finally got you taken care of. So what are you driving now?

That's quite a process, OR! Glad they're agreeing to a Buy Back and making things right with you!

I was contacted by the customer relations consultant multiple times throughout the process. Very nice and easy to work with. I finally received an email on about 30 days later saying “We have investigated your case thoroughly and have come to the decision to Voluntarily Repurchase your 2017 Toyota Tacoma. Please see the attached Proposal for your information and review. At your convenience, please scan and email a copy of your current registration. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact our office.”View attachment 21712

There was a simple form that needed to be filled out. View attachment 21713 I completed it and sent it back. I waited.
I sent a few emails inquiring about the process and where we were. Finally after another 30 days I received an email with a settlement offer. View attachment 21714 I also received notification for guidelines regarding the condition of the vehicle. View attachment 21715
One week later the transfer agent contacted me and let me know what to expect and they were ready to meet me. These where attached to the email. View attachment 21716 View attachment 21717 It took about about 4 months from start to finish. I feel like Toyota has taken care of me and was fair with the buy back. I will say that the mileage deduction is more than I thought it would be. Now I know why vehicles depreciate so much. I will continue to do business with Toyota.
I've been through the process with another auto manufacturer. I signed documents stating I wouldn't discuss the details, but you are absolutely right, document, document, document. Take it to the dealer for everything while it's under warranty.

I've been through the process with another auto manufacturer. I signed documents stating I wouldn't discuss the details, but you are absolutely right, document, document, document. Take it to the dealer for everything while it's under warranty.
That is all you can do and hope they treat you right. Toyota is a great company and has always taken care of their customers. It may take them some time but they seem to make it right when it’s wrong. I have always been a Toyota guy and this has made me want to continue to be so.

Back