Camper for short bed taco.

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Discussion' started by JASN, Jun 22, 2018.

1. JASN

JASN Active Member

So were looking for something in a camper for our 2014 taco found one place in Wyoming that makes them there quite expensive so I'm reaching out to the forum to get some ideas for small pull along or a camper to put on the bed of the truck.

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

A camper camper, not a shell right?

Do u have stock suspension?
    Because the oem suspension is weak as hell.
    I mean the trucks rated for approx 1000lbs depending on your configuration, and this includes all passengers and anything in the cab.

That said, the truck has weak leafpacks to start and will squat and bottom out with only a few hundred lbs in the back.

If ur stock, id look into weights of campers and upgrade the leafpacks and shocks to help it carry its RATED capacity. This wont increase its capacity as more goes into this than just leafpacks.... but it will carry its rated capacity BETTER.

4. Bojangles

So.... id say small trailer ftw.

5. OP
    JASN

JASN Active Member

Yes it's still all stock suspension and only a 1000lbs that's stinks literally I'm sure I've carried more than that already but ya a camper camper. 170926_090604_25.jpeg

kp.taco, Bogunn and OR17TRD like this.
  6. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Haha that’s probably close to 1600lbs

kp.taco and Bogunn like this.
  7. Bojangles

Yeah ive had 2200 in the bed (pavers) 1 time.... stupid and i shoulda mathed before i volunteered to help. Add in my 250lbs, dads 230ish, a toolbox and tools, plus some bolted on weight of about 300lbs.
    Welcome to tacoma

It looks like you have met bumpstop already

Bogunn, JASN and OR17TRD like this.
  8. OP
    JASN

JASN Active Member

Ya we have all probably pushed are tacos to the limits that's why we love them.

OR17TRD and Bojangles like this.
  9. Bojangles

Them stupid ass mudflaps they put on tacomas are damn near dragging in ur photo o_O

longshore and OR17TRD like this.
  10. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

I was just at a big box store and watched 2 guys load up 30 sheets of 1/2 Sheetrock in a 3rd gen DCSB. I should have taken a picture o_O

longshore and Bojangles like this.
  11. kp.taco

kp.taco Well-Known Member

On the slight dips in the interstate mine hits the bump stops with 800lbs in the bed. And that's with Toyota's crappy new recall leaf pack. I didn't buy the truck to haul so no big deal though..

12. Bojangles

Progressive aal, and superbumps makes a decent bandaid

kp.taco likes this.
  13. longshore

longshore Well-Known Member

Be interested in this. I did put dakars and 600lb coils on so my truck could handle the weight. Some pricey stuff out there.