Can I take a 3rd gen Tacoma tailgate from a 6'bed and add it to a 2005 Tacoma with a 6'bed ?

TexasBigBlue

So my kid just bought a 2005 2nd gen Tacoma with a six foot bed and wants to change out tailgates that have a locking mechanism. I read somewhere that it could be done but then I also was told that the newer 3rd gen tailgate is wider and higher than a 2nd gen.

Best way is to use a tape measure. Measure the Gen2 width, height, hinge location and latch location then compare to the Gen3.

If he is worried about theft, there are simpler ways to prevent the theft.
If he has a tonneau cover, then why bother.
Hard covers and shells have methods to secure the tailgate.

Best is to have insurance on the truck. It won't prevent theft, but you can recover most of the loss.

Thanks Rock. And yes, theft is exactly the reason he wants a 3rd gen tailgate. He intends to buy a hard camper shell so I will let him know there are other ways. It's a 2005 he found in Bloomberg, NJ. Cheers

Attachments

• 367EEE8B-52E8-44C3-AC35-5F441ED4DA59.jpeg
    367EEE8B-52E8-44C3-AC35-5F441ED4DA59.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 1
A simple worm gear type clamp on the RH hinge will prevent a simple lift, grab-n-go. Tailgate thieves won't typically have a screwdriver or want to spend time removing a clamp.

There are steel brackets in the aftermarket arena that bolt onto the tailgate. Probably find a source on Tacoma World forum.

Good Luck

Back