Cheap Exhaust and Intake mods?

nupmeyer

Hello I am new to this forum. I have a 2008 Double Cab v6 Off road. I was wondering about some cheap sound upgrades to the stock exhaust. Its a little quiet for me. I was thinking maybe a butterfly valve type thingy to bypass the muffler? Also, what are some cheap and easy intake mods to get a little more air flow?

I'd just get a muffler welded in the stock location.

As far as airflow goes, your engine isn't going to take any more in than it's capable of doing so unless you run forced induction. An intake change will also just be noise as the stock intake is more than capable of moving the amount of air the engine uses so intake gains are minimal and at the too of the rev range.

If you change the muffler say to a performance muffler will it add any Hp? Or just make noise?

Magnaflow makes the best flow-through muffler with nice mellow sound. Not chambered like Flowmaster.
You will get a little more top end performance with Magnaflow.

It's basically the same thing because the tubing is the same diameter as stock but personally I buy catbacks because I don't like chop and weld jobs.

You want performance, delete the cats and put straight pipes along with headers, exhaust, and intake.

I've heard long tube headers are best

As far as air intake they're right you prob get the same if not better air from the stock intake, unless you get a URD intake. In theory I would assume it does give you best performance by the position in which it's placed, but I do know that they sell a performance chip or something that goes to the ecu to program with the URD cold air intake.

For exhausts, I personally like the trd one, not too noisey but noticeable.

Last edited:
You want performance, delete the cats and put straight pipes along with headers, exhaust, and intake.

I've heard long tube headers are best

As far as air intake they're right you prob get the same if not better air from the stock intake, unless you get a URD intake. In theory I would assume it does give you best performance by the position in which it's placed, but I do know that they sell a performance chip or something that goes to the ecu to program with the URD cold air intake.

For exhausts, I personally like the trd one, not too noisey but noticeable.
Urds intake WILL NOT pull colder air than stock at approx 40mph.

And i believe ur thinking of the maf calibrator.

Long tubes are not simply the best either.

Long tubes create more high rpm hp but lose some low end tq.

Shorties keep low end tq but dont make as much top end hp.

The 1grfe is such an oddball..... many engines have the oppossite effect with long vs shorties i believe.

Op, if u go long tubes, ypipe, and a large exhaust, like 3"... the truck will have the tq curve of a honda civic.

Been there done that, speaking from experience and not opinion.

Back