Check engine light

skips1940ford

I have an '03 Prerunner Crewcab. The check engine light comes on ever time the fuel level gets below 1/2 tank. If I reset the light and keep the fuel above 1/2 tank it stays off. The parts store checked the program and thought it was the gas cap, so I got a new one and it still does the same thing. Has anyone got any ideas? Thanks

??i have 30 yrs at Toyota tech and have never heard of that one. Sure it's the check engine and not the fuel light. Best thing get the PO number

No way it's the gas cap. If it was, it would be on all the time. No matter how much gas is in the tank. Because it would mean the cap isn't on/sealing all the way, which has nothing to do with how much gas is in the tank.

Just throwing this out there. If you can drop your gas tank and check your plunger. I had the same thing on my car. A whole bunch of orange slime was stuck to it. One time it read a full tank, it wasn't full. I ran out of gas in the ghetto. Surprisingly, neighborhood blood gave me gas, like 5 gallons. Awesome day

Possibly the fuel pum gasket is craked or corroded ???Have checked or fuel pump issue ?? Or vacuum lines cracked,have a test done with vacuum gauges ? Old school ,map sensors,or other vacuum and fuel sensors,when doing it again,go to Toyota dealer and DO NOT TURN OFF,leave running and let them check codes !!!If you turn off ,it resets and looses failure codes!Must be running or let it die ,but with key still in on Position ,do not turn off,so techs can retrieve they proper codes with Toyota scanner tools! and download in their computer system! I am a former Tech and Service Advisor!!! Rambo!

Back