Concerned about possible new 2017 Tacoma V6 prerunner dbl cab purchase

eagleguy

Hey guys here's the deal,

Had a 2004 Tacoma TRD dbl cab that I loved but traded with 8K in for a Highlander as the kids got too big for the rear seat area. Fast forward, kids are in college with their own vehicles, Highlander ended up with paint issues and I was considering trading in my beloved (NO issues) 2012 Camry L 4cyl with 25K for a 2017 left over SR5 V6 Tacoma dbl cab which would run me $20K out the door trade included. After reading the many post on this forum, I am concerned about the many issues regarding the newer generation Tacoma. Wife and I are considering moving to a smaller home in the near future so a pick up might come in useful since she doesn't want me to dirty up her 2015 Venza with 10K. Some honest opinions would be appreciated here as I have been a Toyota fan for some time but have never seen so many complaints true or false regarding a Tacoma. As you can see my vehicles always got used infrequently so I never went the long haul with any of them, however the pick up purchase will be different. Thanks in advance for your input!

It seems that many of the issues people talk about are regarding the automatic transmission. Sounds like they eventually sort themselves out as much of the random gear changing and hesitation is caused by the TCU/ECU trying to learn the way you drive.

Also, I think another big portion of the 'complaints' revolves around the 3.5L and its Atkinson cycle (Google it). That operating cycle isn't designed for off-the-line power, rather, it favors efficiency. I have a 2018 OR DC, and it has the 6 speed manual, and I honestly have no complaints about it (aside from minor things like a lack of automatic headlights).

Based off my own research, it sounded like the 16s, and to a lesser extent, 17s, did have some issues that were dealt with during recalls, but based off my most recent perception of others' discussions on the trucks, many of those issues have been resolved.

So really, I personally think many of the issues are/were teething issues inherent to a completely new generation of a vehicle that have mostly been resolved by now.

I don't think the 3rd gens will be any more or less reliable than previous generations once people figure out that it isn't a 2nd gen Tacoma. BUT, only time will tell.

Hey guys here's the deal,

Had a 2004 Tacoma TRD dbl cab that I loved but traded with 8K in for a Highlander as the kids got too big for the rear seat area. Fast forward, kids are in college with their own vehicles, Highlander ended up with paint issues and I was considering trading in my beloved (NO issues) 2012 Camry L 4cyl with 25K for a 2017 left over SR5 V6 Tacoma dbl cab which would run me $20K out the door trade included. After reading the many post on this forum, I am concerned about the many issues regarding the newer generation Tacoma. Wife and I are considering moving to a smaller home in the near future so a pick up might come in useful since she doesn't want me to dirty up her 2015 Venza with 10K. Some honest opinions would be appreciated here as I have been a Toyota fan for some time but have never seen so many complaints true or false regarding a Tacoma. As you can see my vehicles always got used infrequently so I never went the long haul with any of them, however the pick up purchase will be different. Thanks in advance for your input!
Is the 2012 Camry paid off? Welcome to the forum.

Took the V6 for a drive today and did notice it was a little jumpy at low RPM's but seemed better in S mode. One thing that I found a little concerning was that my left knee seemed to be always resting on the door panel no matter what my seating position was. Anyone else have this issue?

Back