Cutting Bushwacker fenders for 35's

The_Dirty_Dixie

Currently I have a 3 inch lift on my 06 pre runner, with 33's for my tires. I would love to move on up to 35's :D. I talked to Toytec and they said my best option is to add 1 inch body lift, but would still need to cut. I have Bushwacker fenders on right now, so how would y'all do that? If I cut the fenders I could ruin the look, is it possible to cut the metal on the truck, then form the fenders to that cut? Here is what the fenders look like now, and shows the limited space I have as is. (Tires stick out barely due to 1.25 inch spacers)

IMG_7309.jpg

I'd lift it with new suspension and not cut my truck up. I'd also want to re gear it lower to 4.88 with the 35" tires. If I couldn't do that I'd leave it 3" with 33. Its very capible with the current set up. It looks good too.

I'd lift it with new suspension and not cut my truck up. I'd also want to re gear it lower to 4.88 with the 35" tires. If I couldn't do that I'd leave it 3" with 33. Its very capible with the current set up. It looks good too.

I thought the exact same thing with the re gearing, but the guys at Toytec said even the sponsored trucks they have don't re gear. I figured it would be rough on the engine and transmission but they said otherwise. A new suspension lift would be nice but that's a complete re do and not exactly in my price range considering I need new tires and rims [emoji51]

I thought the exact same thing with the re gearing, but the guys at Toytec said even the sponsored trucks they have don't re gear. I figured it would be rough on the engine and transmission but they said otherwise. A new suspension lift would be nice but that's a complete re do and not exactly in my price range considering I need new tires and rims [emoji51]
If it's not your daily driver that's fine. The truck will not be pleasurable for a daily driver. The reason they probably don't re gear the sponsored trucks is they aren't your daily driver.

If it's not your daily driver that's fine. The truck will not be pleasurable for a daily driver. The reason they probably don't re gear the sponsored trucks is they aren't your daily driver.

That's true, this is my daily driver and the man I talked to has a Tacoma, same set up 3 inch suspension lift with a 1 inch body lift, running 35's, but he had to do some cutting and there lays the problem. I assume his truck is a daily driver

Meh, ive spoken with toytec a few times and have either gotten wrong info, or a verbal shoulder shrug more than once.

Well what do you think? For a daily driver would it be absolutely necessary to re gear 35's?
Dunno for sure as i havent looked into 35s myself.
If i was to go that route, id speak with drivers who use their trucks to do the same things i would be doing. Id take into account added weight, ways to add hp, rpm considerations, and im sure id find out other things i am unaware of by continuing to ask drivers.
Again, not my thing tho.

I was just speaking to toytec as them giving wrong info to me more than once.

Well what do you think? For a daily driver would it be absolutely necessary to re gear 35's?
Not absolute.
It's just not going to have the power you want while daily driving. On stock your RPMs would be around 3000 at 65mph in top gear. Put 35" tires on the same gears will essentially become a higher gear. The ratio would go from a 4.10 to around a 3.55 causing the RPMs to drop at the same speed making your truck feel sluggish or like it's lacking power at hwy speeds.
These trucks don't have much to begin with so you'll notice it more. That's all.

If you go 35" tires you will be slow as heck on starts. I would re-gear but to be honest I would never go to a 35". I'm at 32 1/2" now and don't care much for the slow starts.

Currently I have a 3 inch lift on my 06 pre runner, with 33's for my tires. I would love to move on up to 35's :D. I talked to Toytec and they said my best option is to add 1 inch body lift, but would still need to cut. I have Bushwacker fenders on right now, so how would y'all do that? If I cut the fenders I could ruin the look, is it possible to cut the metal on the truck, then form the fenders to that cut? Here is what the fenders look like now, and shows the limited space I have as is. (Tires stick out barely due to 1.25 inch spacers)

View attachment 11954

First things first, if you don't have a cab mount cut, don't matter how much you cut the fender or the flare, it's gonna hit the frame work of the cab support bracket. There's different company's that make CMC plates so do your research and go with what you want. I'm attaching pics of mine. IMG_1968.jpgIMG_1970.jpgIMG_1972.jpg

First things first, if you don't have a cab mount cut, don't matter how much you cut the fender or the flare, it's gonna hit the frame work of the cab support bracket. There's different company's that make CMC plates so do your research and go with what you want. I'm attaching pics of mine. View attachment 11967View attachment 11968View attachment 11969

Very helpful thank you! Probably will keep what I have, don't wanna loose too much power but it's something to think about.

Back