Dealer is no HELP...Need help from the forum! !!

I read about the shifting issues and low transmission fluid before buying my 2016 DCSB OR and had them check and fill transmission fluid at the time of purchase. Watched them do it. It was 1.5 quarts low. Otherwise, I would have surely experienced these shifting and lunging issues. I do however experience several rattles and strange noises, including the audio/navigation head unit turning off and rebooting 2-3 times when starting the engine, before being able to access and use it. (LCD display screen turns off and on multiple times.)

My question is, what is the axle recall??? And what are the ECU updates???

I have fixed howling highway kazoo noise and some internal rattles. Happy to exchange info. Thank you
Welcome to the forum. Are you talking about the rear differential recall? There is multiple updates or flashes for the ECU to help the transmission. Your dealer should know about all of them and if not I’d find another dealer.

Welcome to the forum. Are you talking about the rear differential recall? There is multiple updates or flashes for the ECU to help the transmission. Your dealer should know about all of them and if not I’d find another dealer.
Thanks for the welcome, and for the reply. Someone above mentioned a rear axle recall. Rear differential? What's the issue/recall for? What is the ECU? Thanks again

Thanks for the welcome, and for the reply. Someone above mentioned a rear axle recall. Rear differential? What's the issue/recall for? What is the ECU? Thanks again

Welcome to the forum.
First, go here or to the NHTSA website to see if you have any open recalls.
http://www.toyota.com/recall

Second, the rear differential was leaking on the third generation Tacoma’s (2016 and up). If the recall is open on yours (look at the VIN check) take it in to get it fixed.
You’ll be able to tell pretty easily because the leaking fluid will be visible on the differential.
Third, the ECU/ECM (engine control unit/module) had an update to be done at the dealership. You’ll see TSB’s online for multiple issues but few recalls.

If losing /leaking fluid sounds like they're torquing too tight and pushing the gasket or sealant out

My VIN doesn’t pop up for any recall. Although I am experiencing the clunk/hop from cold starts in park to reverse and drive. In addition, cruise control goes nuts trying to find gear especially on small inclines. Question is: will they still flash my ecu and examine rear diff. bolt torque and fluid level for free?
I have an appointment on Tuesday, I just want to know what to ask them so I don’t get taken advantage of. Thanks guys

My VIN doesn’t pop up for any recall. Although I am experiencing the clunk/hop from cold starts in park to reverse and drive. In addition, cruise control goes nuts trying to find gear especially on small inclines. Question is: will they still flash my ecu and examine rear diff. bolt torque and fluid level for free?
I have an appointment on Tuesday, I just want to know what to ask them so I don’t get taken advantage of. Thanks guys
You need the latest and greatest transmission TSB update. Take it to the dealer and have them give it to you.

They should inspect for free. Especially if you already have an appt. for maintenance to be done. It should be part of a multipoint inspection at about any dealer. Clarify before it goes in that you want your truck checked for the past rear diff issues/recalls and ensure it will be free.
As far as the searching for gears and hopping, those issues are more than likely the shift points of the tranny and the axle wrap. Flashing the ECU might help some but that’s just the way the gen threes are.

Maybe it's axle wwap wap wap I dunno I'm drunk off my ass & am amazed at my tiepig andf gramper...

Yes it’s still covered under warranty. Tell them your issues and make them fix it. A lot of times they don’t know exactly how many of the trucks are doing what so not all will fall under the recall. It also looks better if they say 200,000 where recalled and not all of them. They probably have an algorithm that spits out who gets on the recall list and your number just didn’t come up. Mine didn’t either but they fixed it....Kind of.

Back