Dealer "Market Adjustment"

I see this post feed has been dormant for a while. $3k to $5k markup over msrp seems customary in the NYC suburbs. I called a few dealers in upstate NY that were willing to sell a Tacoma right at the MSRP. Dealer took a deposit on one the way I built it on the Toyota build and price website. I'm not sure they actually build one rather than just wait until one is alloted to them that meets what I wanted. They told me 2 months to get on the list to claim one they are already alloted or in transit and 4 to 6 months to order the exact one that I want. Does anyone know how the whole build thing really is? Anyway I'm fine waiting for what I want.

I had to place a build order for my 2020 sr5 access cab as their were none east of the mississippi river at dealers back then with the tech package, and dealer/port options i wanted on the truck, plus i demanded it built in the states, not mexico. Total waiting time then was just short of 8 weeks. So far after 2 years the truck has been everything i've asked for, and better.

I had to place a build order for my 2020 sr5 access cab as their were none east of the mississippi river at dealers back then with the tech package, and dealer/port options i wanted on the truck, plus i demanded it built in the states, not mexico. Total waiting time then was just short of 8 weeks. So far after 2 years the truck has been everything i've asked for, and better.

2020 was rough too. Alot of work stoppages with the whole Covid debacle just starting. 8 weeks is not bad. Don't think I'll be as lucky but like I said 4-6 months is no big deal. Don't need it right now. Did you get the v6 or 4cyl. I know they are both bulletproof. I considered the access cab 4x4 with the SX package but my wife wants the full rear seat even though no one will ever sit back there.

Yep, when i saw what was the beginning of this covid pandemic back in january of 2020 i had a feeling this was going to push me into buying a new truck earlier than i wanted so i started seeing dealers finding one in boston that was great to work with even being able to buy under 2k msrp while still getting another 1.5k discount under toyota's program at the time. Hardest thing was waiting for the truck as i sold my tundra privately 2 weeks earlier.

2020 was rough too. Alot of work stoppages with the whole Covid debacle just starting. 8 weeks is not bad. Don't think I'll be as lucky but like I said 4-6 months is no big deal. Don't need it right now. Did you get the v6 or 4cyl. I know they are both bulletproof. I considered the access cab 4x4 with the SX package but my wife wants the full rear seat even though no one will ever sit back there.
Forgot to add i got the v6. I test drove an sr 4 cylinder. Imo, it was pathetic. It had no juice for such a heavy 3rd gen truck. There would be no way i'd be happy towing anything with this vehicle after owning a v8 tundra.

I luckily got my 21 TRD off-road sept last year right before market adjustments hit big here. I have seen dealers use 2 tactics. Some just tell you your paying $5k or more over sticker. Probably the most honest thing most do. Some add ceramic coats and things like that at a high price to hide the adjustment. I’m my sisters case she got a 22 TRD off-road 4 runner and they added so,e TRD pro wheels , step bars, roof rack ansd some other things at a added price. She paid mark up but at least she got something better than just paying 5k. Told her it was to bad I would have gotten her the wheels at my cost

3 years ago you could work with many dealers on these trucks to get a good price with tech packages, and dealer options. Now its crazy, the lots are empty or close to it. Dealers imo, are ripping off customers on these trucks. If you don't really need one now....wait.

Bought our TRD off road on the 5th of March because it cost less than the used ones and came with a 6' bed which I wanted. My Clovis dealership did get me though. They charged me $995 for a KARR security system which the sales person seemed to be reluctant to discuss. I had to call and ask what the green flashing light was for. That system probably cost them $10. I'm still trying to figure out the maps that I don't have and can't get to install.
I think people should approach dealerships like they would a criminal organization. Let the buyer beware.
In the end, with tax, we paid $46K. I looked at electric Hundi and they started at 52K. Just a little too much.

I’ll go electric when they can prove the electrical grid and supply will support it. I look at States like CA, where you get rolling blackouts already and can’t use electric at all during peak hours. Now let’s add several million electric vehicles??!!
Here, in the Central Valley California they're all over the place. Charging can be done in 9 hours using 110 but that's not free. I imagine in the bay area they are extremely popular. Especially right now. People with that kind of money will probably hook up to their solar panels, or charge at work. It is what will happen just like in China. I have never been affected by a rolling black out in my life. When people start targeting the vulnerable electric grid by shooting the transformers is when we are going to see some disruptions.

I do wonder if these chip shortages will lead to long term issues if they are using alternative parts.
I put a $500 refundable deposit on a Tacoma that's about 2 - 3 weeks out. Until then I'm going to keep looking for a better deal.
Make sure you check to see if the dealership installed a KARR security system. They charged me $998 for mine. I am still happy with it other than the funky radio that didn't have maps for the navigation system.

Yeah, the radio sucks unless you have sirius xm. I can't believe it, but the only way to get navigation at least in my truck is with the use of my phone. Geez, even our 2012 prius has navigation without the use of a phone.

Yeah, the radio sucks unless you have sirius xm. I can't believe it, but the only way to get navigation at least in my truck is with the use of my phone. Geez, even our 2012 prius has navigation without the use of a phone.
Back there in the back of my mind, I've kind of been toying with the idea that I may have to junk the radio and get an android like I did for the Tundra, but I don't know what is available and what the general best idea is. The first thing my wife said was "we'll just use the phone" I'm completely phone retarded but that's what we will do eventually after I get all the essentials installed. I just gave up on installing the maps using the Toyota app. I guess Toyota has gone the way of corporations in general and disregarding what consumers need, like refrigerators now days. All products made by corporations are made to be sold but not to perform as advertised. Big change in attitude from after WWII. Watch your country crumble.
I'll wait, take my time and watch the forums to see what is essential to buy and use. I still think the Tacoma is the best truck made, for me.

My '16 has navigation.
I'm guessing based on what I hear from you and other people;
My cousin has a 2013 and his, purchased used, came with maps. Some do come with maps installed, and some come with you paying a subscription and a trip through hell trying to get a program, (like three apps) installed on you phone then trying to get them all aligned and unconflicted, and then you get them installed. Then you pay a yearly subscription which NO ONE at the dealership will discuss regarding the cost of that subscription. I read in the forum that some radios have a place for a card to be inserted where you can load a map program. Mine doesn't.
If a person like myself, 75 years old, trusts naively, the people he is talking to at the dealership, they are likely to get porked. As you all know, the market is skinny with all new cars difficult to find. I bought one not even under construction but scheduled to be delivered a month out. I liked the color, white, and I liked the bed length and the fact that it was a TRD off road with a tow package. I didn't know anything about the audio system except that I can't listen to the hundred CDs I have. So, maybe I can load some of my music onto a thumb drive, I don' know. Eventually I'll have one of my grandkids come over and in thirty seconds fix me up.
Poor old grandpa!

Daulton,,,,you can’t give up!! 46 K,,brand new truck,,,contact the owner of that Dealership,threatening them with a lawsuit,threaten to put negative reviews on the Webb. Contact Toyota corporate

Yes, I could... but I went through this with LG refrigerators a couple of years ago when the company would not honor their warranty through Sears. Moen faucets presently the same thing. Corporations are created to avoid responsibility to customers through all the fine print their lawyers create. It's a new world from the 70s and even the 80s. In this century promises mean nothing. The business model is cut off communications with anything that might cost the share holder profits. Customer service is not even a joke. It doesn't exist. You have to learn the characteristics of the animal you're dealing with. Same as the chimpanzee. People lie, cheat, and steal. Thankfully, a larger portion are more evolved, literally, and treat their fellow humans "as they would treat themselves". (The Fear Factor by Abigale Marsh, PhD.) The pure form of let the buyer beware. I remember the days of Zenith and General Electric where customers were important. Cultures change. Ours has. When you sign those documents you sign away all your rights to complain. Now the market is worldwide and a company doesn't have to worry about a percentage of customers, (calculated) who have problems. Lawsuits are calculated into their business models. I'm not going to tote around a bucket of dissatisfaction and frustration for them. We all just have to know what we are laying down our money for, and read the forums, to know what to expect. I'll make the attempt to make better selections. I did call the dealership, and I can take the time to drive there and they will help me through this, so I have no real basis for complaint other than the time to drive there and talk to the salesman. I do appreciate the time it takes for people to respond to other's problems. That's a good sign so thankyou for your comments, and have a good day. Don't tote around a bucket of angry for nobody. It's not good for anyone.

Back