Depressurize fuel system, 2018 Tacoma

I forgot to order the O ring for the pump when I placed the pump order. The O ring just arrived today (8 days to ship). If the weather is bearable tomorrow, I'll put the pump in.

Nice of them to employ a 109 year old man to walk it to you.

Nice of them to employ a 109 year old man to walk it to you.

I live in Joisey. The O ring was shipped from California. Usually a three day ship for me. Nope, a full 8 days. I missed two days of 72 degree humidity free weather while waiting for my part.

Thank you Joisey

I inserted my vin# and it displayed:
checkMark.png
There are no open Safety Recalls or Service Campaigns for this vehicle

Well I tried to replace the fuel pump today. All went fine until I discovered that you have to remove the bed bolts and either block the bed up to gain access to all of the pollution and gas fill lines that go into the top of the tank or move the bed back to gain access.

So I reinstalled the tank straps and all the lines that I removed and then shipped the fuel pump back to Rock Auto. This is definitely a job for two or perhaps 3 people.

For those interested, in the fuse block under the hood there is a long line of fuses towards the front of the truck. If you count in six fuses from the fender, there will be a 20 amp fuse which powers the fuel pump. Pull this fuse and attempt to start the truck to drain the fuel lines. You will have to press the start button a second time to stop the starter from spinning. I assume there is a feed back from the fuel pump circuit which normally allows the starter to kick out when you let go of the button.

Last edited:
Well I tried to replace the fuel pump today. All went fine until I discovered that you have to remove the bed bolts and either block the bed up to gain access to all of the pollution and gas fill lines that go into the top of the tank or move the bed back to gain access.

So I reinstalled the tank straps and all the lines that I removed and then shipped the fuel pump back to Rock Auto. This is definitely a job for two or perhaps 3 people.

For those interested, in the fuse block under the hood there is a long line of fuses towards the front of the truck. If you count in six fuses from the fender, there will be a 20 amp fuse which powers the fuel pump. Pull this fuse and attempt to start the truck to drain the fuel lines. You will have to press the start button a second time to stop the starter from spinning. I assume there is a feed back from the fuel pump circuit which normally allows the starter to kick out when you let go of the button.

I replace my fuel filter (urd sourced) every 30K, I usually just wear the fuel for a bit. This trick sounds good tho.

That sucks Joisey.

The job could have been simple if Toyota just put inline disconnects in the fill and pollution lines of the truck a short distance from the tank, just like the did for the pressure and return fuel line. I'm still shaking my head.

The job could have been simple if Toyota just put inline disconnects in the fill and pollution lines of the truck a short distance from the tank, just like the did for the pressure and return fuel line. I'm still shaking my head.
The hilux have had user serviceable (friendly) inline fuel filters for years.
Not fair is it?

How hard is it to change the fuel filters in a Tacoma? I got about 26,000 miles on my truck right now and I like to change the filter.

The hilux have had user serviceable (friendly) inline fuel filters for years.
Not fair is it?
Everyone had a fit when GM went to an in tank fuel pump with built in fuel filter. Cries of it's going to clog and leave me stranded abound. I don't buy junk gas, and when I traded the truck with 126K on it, there was zero fuel system problems. I should also state that I use a locking gas cap on all of my vehicles.....trust issues.

How hard is it to change the fuel filters in a Tacoma? I got about 26,000 miles on my truck right now and I like to change the filter.
If your truck is a third generation, you have to pull the gas tank, buy a special tool to remove the fuel pump retainer ring, a new O ring to put the pump back in and a new filter. Unless you buy garbage gas or someone throws water or junk in your tank, there is no reason why the filter in the tank won't outlast the vehicle.

Last edited:
If your truck is a third generation, you have to pull the gas tank, buy a special tool to remove the fuel pump retainer ring, a new O ring to put the pump back in and a new filter. Unless you buy garbage gas or someone throws water or junk in your tank, there is no reason why the filter in the tank won't outlast the vehicle.

So no crazy ex girlfriends...check

When my divorce was finalized, I took a pair of 4x4 posts and sunk them in the ground in front of the house. To them I fastened a king size white bed sheet and spray painted

IT'S A DIVORCE
DATE: 9/24/94
TIME: 2:26PM
COST: $425K

IT WAS WORTH IT.

I had two spotlights shining on the sheet and the edge of the sheet and the two posts were wrapped in chasing twinkle Christmas lights. I live way off of the beaten path and we had a traffic jam on our street. My sign made local news.

I am now married for the second time to the woman that I should have proposed to when I first met her. We've been married for almost 26 years and I have never been happier.

Back