Difference in running boards?

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Discussion' started by blacktac777, Jul 12, 2013.

1. blacktac777

blacktac777 New Member

Hi all, im a newbie to the truck world and just bought my Tacoma last week. I wanted to put on running boards so my kid can get on but saw a bunch of different names. Can you guys explain the difference in running boards, nerf bars, and sliders?

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

Running boards are flat extensions:

[​IMG]

Nerf bars are pretty much the same as running boards but in a bar form. Some look like the warp nacelles from the Enterprise:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sliders are generally for rocker panel protection so they are tucked up high which kinda makes them useless for steps. They are also built to support the truck's weight:

[​IMG]

4. TacoJoe11

TacoJoe11 Well-Known Member

Personally I like the hooped step bars over the oval step bars. Test drove a couple of Tacomas before I got mine, they had the factory oval step bar and I found myself tripping over them everytime I got out of the vehicle. I guess I'm just not used to having those. I like the "hooped" bars because the step doesn't run the whole length of the doors...and I like they way they look.

http://www.autotrucktoys.com/toyota-tacoma/images/SMBNerfStepBlack_a.jpg

5. HellaNella420

HellaNella420 Well-Known Member

I have those on my truck. They look good and my kid uses them to get in/out. Looks and function!!

6. OP
    blacktac777

blacktac777 New Member

Any particular brand to look for?

7. whippersnapper02

Not really. Different brands make different styles so just get what you like. Westin makes all but sliders I believe.

8. KennyF

KennyF Well-Known Member

I saw a new sidestep. It's electric. You open the door step comes down close door. steps goes up. The only problem is it's anywhere from $1100-$1200

9. whippersnapper02

Sounds like Amp Research. They look terrible on Tacomas because they don't sit flush when retracted.

10. Brendan

Brendan Well-Known Member

I need me some sliders for sure.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  11. whippersnapper02

They would fold like tin cans and cause more damage to your truck.

12. HellaNella420

Good sliders get welded right to the frame dont they?

13. TacoJoe11

TacoJoe11 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the factory step bars would not be strong enough to support the weight of the truck, they'll probably warp. But it will keep minor scrapes and bruises off of your truck during low impact situations.

14. whippersnapper02

Weld or bolt on. They have more attachment points that steps and the sliders themselves are much beefier.

15. HellaNella420

They're way more heavy duty than steps. And way heavier too. Ones on my brothers CJ weigh a ton. But his went on with allen head bolts and he had to drill holes in his body too. XRC's if im remembering right.