Differential recall

You have got to be kidding me.... How is it I buy this at a Toyota dealership, with an open factory recall, and I find this... The Carfax states no open recalls...

Attachments

• crap.jpg
    crap.jpg
    1,006.4 KB · Views: 100
I'd get a extended platinum warranty on it if you plan on keeping it for a few years.
Welcome to the forum.
Nice truck BTW....
Edit-
weird your last relply wasn't there then it was... WTF Toyota! I hope you stole it from them. If not I'd be going back and demanding a huge discount/refund and a 10yr 125k mile platinum 0$ deductible immediately. Or give it back to them.

Last edited:
After examining the photo closer. It looks like it might have been fixed already.

Thanks for the welcome. That had crossed my mind, and I hope that is the case...I was really excited about getting it. I'm going to go out and clean it off real good, then keep a close eye on it the next week.

Thanks for the welcome. That had crossed my mind, and I hope that is the case...I was really excited about getting it. I'm going to go out and clean it off real good, then keep a close eye on it the next week.
I'd still be excited it's a freakin new tacoma! It might take a little longer than that to notice anything weeping. If the dealer isn't to far away I would take it in and talk to them. I would still try and get an extended warranty on it. ;)

I'd still be excited it's a freakin new tacoma! It might take a little longer than that to notice anything weeping. If the dealer isn't to far away I would take it in and talk to them. I would still try and get an extended warranty on it. ;)

Yep...traded my '08 Wrangler for it. Loved my Jeep, but was really tired of getting rained on even though the soft top was on, driving with a minivan engine with no power; and the sudden onset of Death Wobble I got last Wed. on the highway at 75 mph!

I do all my own routine maintenance, so it will be watched. They gave me a 2yr 24k warranty on it when I bought it, but I may calling about that Platinum warranty...lol

You have got to be kidding me.... How is it I buy this at a Toyota dealership, with an open factory recall, and I find this... The Carfax states no open recalls...

Man that looks like it had a pretty good leak. But then again maybe some is from where they fixed it. I doubt they would let it leave the lot if they hadn’t. Especially the way they’ve been holding the recalled trucks hostage.

If you download the Toyota Owners app or go to {LINK DELETED BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH POSTS...LOL}you can sign up and look at all the service history on your truck by VIN.
It’ll show you if the recall was fixed.

Well that was really helpful! Got signed up and it appears mine had the Recall repair done on the 12th! Looks like it was brought in for the Recall back on June 12th, and stayed at the Dealer till I bought it.

I brought mine in for the differential recall, they drained the oil and found metal shavings in the differential. 6 weeks later I got the truck back with a new differential including the new correct gaskets. It was frustrating but I'm glad the dealership repaired it. I have 9,500 miles on the truck.

I took my 2017 Tacoma in for an oil change 3 weeks ago. They noticed the differential was leaking, said there was a Recall and have kept my truck for three weeks now. the reason they are giving is Toyota does not have a remedy to fix the issue.

Anyone else getting this story?
I hope I don't have that issue. I only have 500 miles. I will check it out.
Thanks for the info Chris.

Just keep an eye on it.
You can check to see if the recall was already fixed by going to Toyota owners app or sign in online. Instructions are above if you don’t have an account already.

I'm finally getting my diff done today. Mine was not part of recall but replaced under warranty. I was able to keep my truck while my parts were on order. I'm keeping my truck and will pursue the extended warranty with my case worker.

On a lighter note - I take my truck off road and on back country roads frequently and she is a beast in her element. Now that I'm over the shock and disappointment over our issues, I do love this truck off road.

I'm finally getting my diff done today. Mine was not part of recall but replaced under warranty. I was able to keep my truck while my parts were on order. I'm keeping my truck and will pursue the extended warranty with my case worker.

On a lighter note - I take my truck off road and on back country roads frequently and she is a beast in her element. Now that I'm over the shock and disappointment over our issues, I do love this truck off road.

The diff leak is aggravating but all manufacturers have recalls. It just seems like when Toyota has one it gets ran through the mud a little worse.
They are beasts off road. Glad you’re getting it fixed. Enjoy the truck!

My 2016 Tacoma has been at the dealer since the 1st week of May for the rear differential leak and I'm always told they don't know when they expect the parts to come in. I've been driving a corolla for the time being.. This is such BS... I'm ready to pursue lemon law

My 2016 Tacoma has been at the dealer since the 1st week of May for the rear differential leak and I'm always told they don't know when they expect the parts to come in. I've been driving a corolla for the time being.. This is such BS... I'm ready to pursue lemon law
That sucks. Sorry you've had to drive a crudolla

Back