Differentials

Discussion in 'Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation' started by skullztrucker, Oct 10, 2013.

1. skullztrucker

skullztrucker Well-Known Member

So my Tacoma is a trd sport and I want to change the diffs to on command locking. Any suggestions on front and rear?

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OffroadTaco4x4

OffroadTaco4x4 Well-Known Member

I've heard good stuff about arb air lockers, but you also have to get a compressor/tank for the air.

4. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

ARB for sure on a street driven vehicle be prepared to burn like two grand.

5. OP
    skullztrucker

For front and rear

6. whippersnapper02

7. OP
    skullztrucker

Any ideas for compressor location

8. OP
    skullztrucker

One separate question for you guys. Why air over electric(eaton)

9. OffroadTaco4x4

I would think air is more reliable, if I got lockers, I would make some custom place to must all that, maybe the compressor in the bed and the air tank under the bed. Or maybe both under the bed.

10. whippersnapper02

Rear cubby, bed tool box(if you have one), between ABS module and intake tube...just gotta find room. Since my truck has ATRAC I have plenty of space on the passenger side of the engine bay.

11. OP
    skullztrucker

Again, thanks for the insight

12. whippersnapper02

A buddy has a 4wd Sport 6 speed with ARB lockers. Here is where he mounted his compressor. It is just in front of the brake booster.

Pic from Manwithoutaplan.

Attached Files:

13. whippersnapper02

More...

Attached Files:

14. Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan MOnty Lives on

If i were you i would mount the compressor either in the back of the bed or on the passenger. FYI

15. OffroadTaco4x4

So do you have a locker up front and back?

16. whippersnapper02

17. OffroadTaco4x4

I heard a lot of people say lockers and ifs don't mix, has he had any problems?

18. whippersnapper02

None that I know of. That saying can be true but anything will break if you abuse it.

19. Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan MOnty Lives on

Yes i have front and rear lockers. It is true that Lockers and ifs don't mix so you have be very careful when engaging the front. But it has made my experience with off roading in tough situation lot easier and less abusive on the truck.

20. OP
    skullztrucker

What do you mean be careful when engaging the front

21. whippersnapper02

I think he means to make sure your tires aren't turning at different speeds when engaging and make sure it is locked in before applying engine power. Also don't do anything like a full throttle full lock turn with the locker engaged but that will destroy most locked diffs and or driveaxles.