Does the 12v electrical plug drain when the car is off?

stinkfoot70

does electricity drain from the battery through the 12v electrical plug when the car is off? I live in a harsh environment and sometimes don't drive my 2011 tacoma for a day or so, so can't afford a dead battery, but it would work out nicely for my homemade stereo pre-amp rigging.

Has anyone left something plugged in long term without a dead battery experience?

Thanks!

Stinkfoot, as far as I know the 12v outlet that is in cab has the power cut once you turn the key off. Don't quote me on it, but you can test that by plugging something in and turn it on with the key on and then shut the key off. See if it doesn't kill the power flow to it.

I have one that is direct wired to my battery under the hood which always has power without the key.

Normally power shuts off when you turn off the ignition. But yes you would eventually drain the battery if you kept using power from 12 volt plug without starting the engine.

Last edited:
You have to put it on accessory if you want the 12v to work while the engines running. My usb charger shuts off when the truck gets shut off.

thanks for all your replies. Yes, power to the device is cut off, but I know about power leakage from sticking a multimeter into a home outlet that has a wall switch cutoff. If I put the multimeter to the lowest voltage setting and stick the probes into the outlet with the wall switch off, I still get a flicker of millivoltage coming through.

Nella, have you ever left that charger in for a day or so without starting your truck and then experienced any battery death or sluggishnish on turning over?

this is a homemade stereo pre-amp and recharger that I'm sick of rebuilding and resoldering from leads getting yanked and moved from unplugging and replugging all the time, so it would help to keep it plugged in...but not if it has a chance of sticking me into a compromised battery bind. especially in the colorado mtns in the winter....

Stinkfoot, as far as I know the 12v outlet that is in cab has the power cut once you turn the key off. Don't quote me on it, but you can test that by plugging something in and turn it on with the key on and then shut the key off. See if it doesn't kill the power flow to it.

I have one that is direct wired to my battery under the hood which always has power without the key.

Hey Byrd do you have a picture of your outlet set up? I think I've seen it on the forum but just can't remember where.

thanks for all your replies. Yes, power to the device is cut off, but I know about power leakage from sticking a multimeter into a home outlet that has a wall switch cutoff. If I put the multimeter to the lowest voltage setting and stick the probes into the outlet with the wall switch off, I still get a flicker of millivoltage coming through.

Nella, have you ever left that charger in for a day or so without starting your truck and then experienced any battery death or sluggishnish on turning over?

this is a homemade stereo pre-amp and recharger that I'm sick of rebuilding and resoldering from leads getting yanked and moved from unplugging and replugging all the time, so it would help to keep it plugged in...but not if it has a chance of sticking me into a compromised battery bind. especially in the colorado mtns in the winter....

I leave that charger in the outlet 24/7/365. Its a belkin one and it shuts off when the power is cut to the truck. It does work in accessory mode (when you have radio on but not engine). Did this in 2 vehicles w/ zero problems.

Hey Byrd do you have a picture of your outlet set up? I think I've seen it on the forum but just can't remember where.

Here ya go Offroad, it's in the Tacoma Models > 2005 - Present Toyota Tacoma
What is this for? Thread.
attachment.php

Pretty simple install cost under $10. I use it for a trouble light I have that plugs right in has a long cord so can hang it wherever, great for changing a tire in the dark. Here's a pic of one just like mine.
12V_trouble_light_with_cigarette_lighter_work.jpg_220x220.jpg

just to reinforce what others said

I leave a phone charger and itrip plugged in 24/7 in my 1st gen, my dad leaves a phone charger in his 24/7 and we've both never had problems

Back