Don't lose your tailgate key

Mine was taped in a small plastic bag in glove box. Took awhile to find it. Went straight to Lowes and got more cut.

Not only should you have received the tailgate key but you should have received two small metal tags with numbers stamped on them. One is for the key that pulls out of the fob and the other is for the tailgate. With this number they can order a new key.

Right...never got the metal tag for the tailgate key either. But they resolved the issue and I now have the keys, the tag and it's all good

Just installed a Pop and Lock so I can more conveniently lock/unlock my tailgate and not have to carry the tailgate key. This is a small device that mounts onto the tailgate lock assembly and wires into the passenger door lock harness. Lock the truck, tailgate locks. Double pumps the unlock all the doors and your tailgate unlock. Works like a champ so far.

(Sorry, can't put in a URL yet)
Part number: PL8535
Currently $95 on Amazon

There's a place to store your tailgate key located under the lid of the center console. Check it out taco heads.

Just installed a Pop and Lock so I can more conveniently lock/unlock my tailgate and not have to carry the tailgate key. This is a small device that mounts onto the tailgate lock assembly and wires into the passenger door lock harness. Lock the truck, tailgate locks. Double pumps the unlock all the doors and your tailgate unlock. Works like a champ so far.

Currently $95 on Amazon
Did you install it yourself?

Currently $95 on Amazon

I installed a Pop n Lock on my 2011, I must admit, the plastic seems very flimsy and always seems on the verge of breaking when I use it. They would have a great product, if only with an upgraded plastic.

Actually called my dealer today about this. The salesman didn’t know anything about a tail gate key.. so now I’m left wondering if I’ll ever be able to lock mine.

Mine also came with 2 fobs and one key. Told by salesman that the key is for the tailgate, fobs and keys within them for doors and glovebox. Through another forum, I learned this might be incorrect. Went out, tried it and yup, the key within the fob works for everything. Now the fun part. The stand alone key also works for everything. 2017 Limited owner.

Yep, ran into same problem on my 2016. No tailgate key. The parts guy showed me that key in keyfob only opens doors and glove box. Separate key for tailgate and there is no key code for it. Working with dealer to get key cut to work.

My fob key opens and locks everything.The stand alone key open and locks everything(door and tailgate).I have the push button start 2017.

When I bought my 2016 Tacoma I didn’t get a tailgate key. I ask the service department how much time/money it would take to have the lock cylinder replaced. I was quoted 1.5 hours (approx 130.00 labor) plus about 75.00 for the new lock. I watched a you tube video on how to replace it. I spent the 75.00 on the lock cylinder and changed it out in about 15-20 minutes. Works perfectly. The dealers try to rip people off on the gross over estimation of labor time. It’s very easy to change.

Back