Engine bay noise

OffroadTaco4x4

Ok let me start by saying this noise never occurred until I started going offroad. This is an 08 taco also. The noise is sorta of hard to explain but it sounds like a belt squeal only deeper and quieter. Now when I take this truck off road I take care of it and pressure wash the whole truck including the engine bay right after it. I determined that all of the idler pulleys were bad. So I replaced all three and a new belt. After that almost all of the noise went away. But of course the next time I get back from wheeling and finish cleaning it very good I hear a slight bit of the noise again. Am I just getting unlucky or what? Any ideas on the problem? Also I'm not going through any deep mud at all.

Is it RPM dependant or does it only happens when driving? I have a similar noise that I believe is coming from the front wheel bearings. I'm getting them replaced on Monday.

No it is all the time, I have a feeling like it might be the water pump. I know it's not the ac or power steering, so there isn't much else it could be.

I'd check the waterpump. Sounds like bearing is going bad. Easy to check....with engine off first spin fan. If it spins and spins, fan clutch is bad. Should spin a little then stop. Next standing in front of engine take fan and see if you can pull the top of it towards you and back, like it's loose, if you can bearing is shot.

I'd check the waterpump. Sounds like bearing is going bad. Easy to check....with engine off first spin fan. If it spins and spins, fan clutch is bad. Should spin a little then stop. Next standing in front of engine take fan and see if you can pull the top of it towards you and back, like it's loose, if you can bearing is shot.

Yeah it does wobble a little. That has to be the problem. It can't be anything to do with the engine cause when I started it up without the belt on it, it sounded fine

Should be no wobble. So I would say it's going bad. The scream is usually the 1st indication it's going out. Sometimes you only hear it when it starts other times you can hear it constant. Almost like nails on a chalkboard. I would not let the dealer install it unless it's under warranty. They will charge an arm & a leg. If you can find one get a lifetime warranty one at a parts store, if it goes out again it's free to replace the pump, you install. May cost you a little more for it, don't get a 90 day/1yr warranty one as they generally go out at 91 days/1 yr & 1 day. Been there done that with my Chevelle. I was always blowing the pump out. Lifetime lasted longer and when it went out it was free replacement.

Mine squealed like a motherucker when the water pump went bad. I'd definitely make that the next replacement.

Back