Erratic mpg

Discussion in '2016 + Toyota Tacoma' started by TacoRick, Apr 28, 2016.

1. TacoRick

TacoRick Well-Known Member

Lately my mpg has been all over the place. The same trip will be around 18 mpg one day, and 14 the next day, despite the same driving habits. I have almost 600 miles on my truck, but it seems like my mpg was steadier with fewer miles. Anybody else experiencing this?

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Joonkin

Joonkin Active Member

Same here. Mine has almost 500 miles on it.

4. silverpataco

silverpataco Well-Known Member

Mine has 6800 in 6-7 weeks same crap with inconsistent mpg!

5. OP
    TacoRick

You guys have any thoughts on what's causing it?

6. Demo Man

Demo Man Well-Known Member

Have you done anything to your truck?

7. silverpataco

silverpataco Well-Known Member

Small little hands, fingers and minds from Japan. Trying to write the program meeting EPA emissions standards and better mpg's . Obviously not getting the air to fuel ratio and transmission shift points right!

8. OP
    TacoRick

No mods yet.

9. OP
    TacoRick

Aftermarket programming companies should be all over this.

silverpataco likes this.
  10. rosenbet

rosenbet Member

Are you going by the trip info on Entune? I was watching that for a while but realized the graph is misleading because the bars all represent different amounts of time. My weekend driving is different than my weekday driving and the data is useless unless you train yourself to refresh it daily.

11. OP
    TacoRick

I go by the trip mpg that is shown after the truck is turned off. I also go by the real time mpg.

12. rrt1949

rrt1949 Member

Only have about 1400 miles but the average mpg according to the readout over the steering column was about 16. Mostly in town driving. The display on the entune read high 17.2 and average 14.6. Not very pleased with that at all so talked to the service tech's and they sail to check it the "old fashion way" by fill up to fill up, divide the miles by the gallons. Haven't had to fill up yet (I drive a company car), but I thought I'd reset all the info on the gauges. It took a couple of times to clear out the old info but when I test drove it again...no stops, 55-65 highway only I got 27.5mpg. In town and around is averaging about 17mpg.

Bogunn likes this.
  13. pismo61

pismo61 Member

Mine seems pretty steady.

14. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

The truck mpg resets with each fill up. It literally is a tank average.
    I would only go with the fill up to fill up “old fashioned” average for a few tanks of driving to get a real picture of what you’re getting.
    I’m getting about 21-23 mpg average right now with city and highway driving.

rrt1949 likes this.