Exclamation point triangle

JDubTaco

I have a 2023 Tacoma with about 4500 miles on it. When I start the truck it says maintenance due soon on the screen between the tachometers and a warning light with an exclamation point inside of a triangle comes but then goes out after a few seconds. I’m assuming that light comes on because of the maintenance request? I couldn’t find anything helpful that’s why I posted it here.

It’s a master warning light.
The master warning light also comes on or flashes in order to indicate that a message is currently being displayed on the multi- information display. — page 482 in my 2020 OM.

It’s a master warning light.
The master warning light also comes on or flashes in order to indicate that a message is currently being displayed on the multi- information display. — page 482 in my 2020 OM.
482 pages? :oops:

Last edited:
Short oil changes will not harm the engine. Extending oil changes will harm the engine.

Since when do salesman know squat about vehicle maintenance???? They will say anything to secure a sale to make their commission.

Short oil changes will not harm the engine. Extending oil changes will harm the engine.

Since when do salesman know squat about vehicle maintenance???? They will say anything to secure a sale to make their commission.
You’re completely right about salesmen. They know nothing and will lie just to lie.

Really depends how long. With some of these synthetics, along with a decent filter, I wouldn't worry about it. With the additive packages, and engines built today, these synthetics can go a bit past a year, or 20k miles. You use cheap motor oil, and you better do short oil changes.

Really depends how long. With some of these synthetics, along with a decent filter, I wouldn't worry about it. With the additive packages, and engines built today, these synthetics can go a bit past a year, or 20k miles. You use cheap motor oil, and you better do short oil changes.
Define "cheap motor oil".

If the oil has the API grade that matches what your Op Manual states, then all is good. Generally, the motor oil on the shelf is 1 or 2 API grades ahead of what the vehicle needs.

this?

shopping

Its a bottle.......

What is the API grade?
What API grade does your truck need?

Current API grade for gasoline engines, since 5/2020, is SP. This is most likely on the shelf at any place selling motor oil.

Other API grades on the shelf (maybe) are SJ, SL, SM and SN. These "designations" increase alphabetically.
SJ is for 2001 and older
SL is for 2004 and older
SM is for 2010 and older
SN is for 2020 and older

Meaning, JayQQ97, any oil you buy with an API grade equal or better than SJ.....you're good.

Beyond the API grade, you can begin discussing the "Additive Package" blended into the different brands. Although, the discussion is likely to hinge on Marketing Boast Claims. Of course, brand X is always better than brand Y. or brand Y is better than brand X......all depending on who is doing the squawking or talking.......

Last edited:
Back