Extended Warranty Offer on 2017 Tacoma

cjhono

Finally I've purchased my first Taco, a 2017 TRD sport 4x4. Sales person is encouraging me to pick up the extended warranty. I've come to understand the tacoma is reliable and durable. Any thoughts on why I should pick up one? Quoted about $2,200 bumper to bumper for 8 years.

I would most definitely pick one up. Tacomas and just Toyotas aren't always as reliable as people think they are and the extended warranty will cover you for future TSBs.

I paid $1,400 for an 8 year 85,000 mile extended warranty. Seemed like a good idea since I plan to keep the truck for at least 7 years and I put 10-12K per year on my cars.

Looks like this thread is older not relevant for cjhono but maybe someone else.
$2200 is the starting point. If you don't like negotiating then just give them what they want and move on.
These warranties are NOT bumper to bumper. There are limitations to what is covered. Read the agreement. Know what your buying.
Shop around. Make sure you're shopping in your state. Dealers got into trouble for selling out of state VSA and Toyota will not honor them.
I called Jeff at toyota financial and he told me dealers can choose their own pricing and terms on these warranties. It will vary from state to state and dealer to dealer.
The price and term can absolutely be negotiated. My states toyota dealers will do up to 10 yr 125k mile VSA through toyota financial. This term option became available in Fall of 2016.
They want your business. They want your money. You are the costumer. You have the money. You have the power until you put that ink down.
If I can't get the deal I want I'll go somewhere else and spend my money.
Using one dealer against the other is a good tactic to get the price down.
I agree with everyone above it's peace of mind and smart with the issues these are having.
I have one on my 2017 TRD OR.

My credit union advised me they also offer ext warrs but haven't had the time to compare pricing.

I bought my Tacoma thru the fleet department that supplies my company's Camrys. When I got into finance the business manager began her pitch by asking, "If this truck didn't come with a warranty, how much of a discount would you expect to take the truck anyway?" The point being by asking that, you establish a price for the extended warranty.

It was such a strange question I asked her to repeat it. She did and I told her I id go get a Ford F-150 and got up.

I spent 20 years selling and managing car sales departments. Always thought it was better to just be straight when talking about warranties. I'm in the medium and heavy truck business. The max we make on them is between $25-100 in total. I've sold $7-8000 warranties on class 8 trucks and the house made $100. Making extended warranties affordable enhances the ownership experience. That's my $. 02.

I got totally screwed it's seems on my extended warranty. It's not a 3rd party warranty, it's Toyota Premium Care. 75,000 mile, 6 year. They charged me $2500. I'd jump at it for $2200

I got totally screwed it's seems on my extended warranty. It's not a 3rd party warranty, it's Toyota Premium Care. 75,000 mile, 6 year. They charged me $2500. I'd jump at it for $2200
With toyota you have 30 days to change your mind and cancel for a refund and after that you can cancel and get a prorated refund. You can also purchase it again at any time.

Is there a time or mileage limitation in getting an extended warranty? Purchased my Tacoma a few days ago and want to see how much they will cost in my area.

Is there a time or mileage limitation in getting an extended warranty? Purchased my Tacoma a few days ago and want to see how much they will cost in my area.
No you can purchase one at any time. The only time sensitivity is when canceling.
Shop around if you have multiple dealers in your state. Use dealers against dealers to get a better deal. They all will naogotiate for your business.You can not buy out of state. Some states offer up to 10 yr 125k miles.

Damn. I guess I got a lucky dealer ship here in MN. Got it from the dealer bumper to bumper for 2500/lifetime warranty. But I can't modify any of the equipment whatsoever. Only appearance and wear and tear. I can do brakes and oil changes freely but anything under the hood will void it. Means no exhaust or lift kit for me. Oh well.

It does suck. But I am not a real mechanic kind of guy so it's okay for me. I am happy with working on appearances for now but anything under the hood I'd have no idea haha.

No you can purchase one at any time. The only time sensitivity is when canceling.
Shop around if you have multiple dealers in your state. Use dealers against dealers to get a better deal. They all will naogotiate for your business.You can not buy out of state. Some states offer up to 10 yr 125k miles.

Make SURE you read the "warranty" very carefully, as they are VERY specific about what's covered and what's not. Legally, at least here in Texas, they aren't a warranty at all, but rather a "Vehicle Service Contract". *I* initially got a 7yr/100K extended warranty that was supposed to be bumper-to-bumper from Toyota (according to the salesman). After reading it (read the fine print!), it was actually a 3rd party that goes by several names here in Texas: Securenet, GS (Gulf States) Administrators, and GS Financial Services. I cancelled the next day after purchase, and after 3 weeks waiting on a refund, had to threaten a Small Claims Petition to get their attention. I had three parts: pre-paid maintenance (essentially just oil changes every 10K, and NOT full service fluid changes like trans flush, radiator flush at various intervals etc.like the finance manager told me), Tire & wheel coverage, and the extended "warranty". The "warranties" and pre-paid service plans are VERY profitable for the dealers, and generally aren't worth squat when you really need them. Do YOU know of anyone personally who has used an "extended warranty" and actually gotten paid for all repairs (or ANY repairs, for that matter)? Also, I didn't know until after I cancelled that there was a $100 deductible if I went to another dealer other than the sales dealer for service. Check THAT out carefully too! I got a full refund of $3289 for the three "warranties" BTW. >;-) I'm normally more careful about reading contracts BEFORE I sign, but got pretty well conned by a smooth talking finance manager. Also, make sure you get copies of ALL paperwork you sign BEFORE you leave the dealership office!

Don't worry about applying right away -- there will be ample opportunities to sign up for extended service before the manufacturer's warranty is finished. I'm *already* getting lots of junk mail since I cancelled. <sigh>

Back