frame recalls

jess

Hi,
I'm looking at buying a first gen tacoma. I've seen many with new frames due to the recall some years back. I'm thinking it's a plus, but would anyone be deterred by this?

Hi,
I'm looking at buying a first gen tacoma. I've seen many with new frames due to the recall some years back. I'm thinking it's a plus, but would anyone be deterred by this?
Nope. If it’s been replaced I’d go for it. Still look around for rust. It’s the ones that haven’t been done I’d be crawling under looking around really good.

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

1st gen tacos are known for being awesome as well... now, I don't know what part of the country you're in but if you live in the "rust belt" it really doesn't matter what you drive. A 1st gen tacoma in good condition is gonna take you where you want to go and beyond! I love mine and wouldn't trade it for any other truck in its category. Like anything they will have a flaw or 2, but what doesn't? They are only as good as their owner treats them.

Welcome to the forum. As the other guys said, look at the frame of any you plan on buying. Look for rust on the cab, bed, and all over for that matter.
If you find one with decent out I’d pull the trigger on it and get it if that’s what you want.

Yep I crawled all over mine before I purchased it. I was really surprised with mine, not even any surface rust at 80k miles. But it came from southern Arkansas and was always garaged. Which reminds me I got a letter from Toyota for frame inspection. I guess I'll let them spray the frame [emoji848]

Yep I crawled all over mine before I purchased it. I was really surprised with mine, not even any surface rust at 80k miles. But it came from southern Arkansas and was always garaged. Which reminds me I got a letter from Toyota for frame inspection. I guess I'll let them spray the frame [emoji848]
Might as well.

Hi,

Might as well.
Thanks everybody! So does anyone remember what the years of the recall are? If I get it from a dealer can I trust that the frame won't crap the bed because a recall was ignored? I assume that they must have information on that?
My 1986 4runner got totaled in a highway accident two months ago halfway through its resto. It's very depressing. Over 300k on it and I knew it had a longer road ahead...
Yeah I'm being really picky about the body- I do in fact live on the edge of the rust belt. cape cod. Definitely looking inland.

Thanks everybody! So does anyone remember what the years of the recall are? If I get it from a dealer can I trust that the frame won't crap the bed because a recall was ignored? I assume that they must have information on that?
My 1986 4runner got totaled in a highway accident two months ago halfway through its resto. It's very depressing. Over 300k on it and I knew it had a longer road ahead...
Yeah I'm being really picky about the body- I do in fact live on the edge of the rust belt. cape cod. Definitely looking inland.

You should be able to see any open recalls not performed on a truck and what was actually done through the NHTSA site and the Toyota owners site.
https://www.toyota.com/owners/parts-service/history

https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/

And if that doesn’t give you the info you need or want get a car fax or other VIN lookup service report. Any service ever done at a dealership should show up in the report.
Also, any reputable dealer would have the car fax already printed for a vehicle they are selling.

First off that sucks about the 86’ runner. I’ve owned a lot of those from 84-89 all 22re 5spd. Some SR5. I hate when one disappears. They are becoming harder to find for sure.
Next you can rarely trust a dearship. They are out to make money. You would hope they would do you right but in the end they want your money. I’ve bought a lot of vehicles from dealers over the years and every time Ive completely trusted them I got screwed. You’ve got to look out for yourself. You’ve got to ask lots of questions, do research (like you’re doing) and if you feel like you shouldn’t do it walk away.
Nagotiate what you want and stay firm. Remember: You have the power until you sign that paper.
Having to buy something vs wanting to buy something increases your risk for getting taken advantage of. Never act like you need to buy the vehicle. Make them think you can wait to find or get what you want. Also be willing to make it an all day event or go in closer to closing and end of month if you’re serious and want the best deal. It took me 9 hrs to make a deal on a Camry to figure that out. It should not take that long but if you are patient and firm you’ll get the deal you want.
The best deals that I’ve got is when I knew what I wanted, how much I wanted to pay and stayed firm. Almost every time I’ve either started to walk away they stopped me or I did walk away and they called me not long after I left. Only once did they not call me back but I was asking for a lot haha.

I loved my '97 xtra cab 4x4 5spd and confidently feel that if I had it today, me and my Taco would still be cruising together...

Frame Pieces.jpg I had parts of mine replaced. About $1,100.00. I'm trying to get Toyota to reimburse me for it.
Bought the truck new. I got nothing on first try. Now, I'm trying through my Ohio Attorney General's office.

Attachments

• Window Sticker.jpg
    Window Sticker.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 24
Back