Frame rot

Changeling, I wasn't going to use just plain old paint. I was going to sand down and use a product similar to Eastwood Rust Encapsulator & then use an undercoating, products designed just to stop rust & prevent. Then spray with oil after it dries and cures. I only have small amounts of surface rust on the bottom rails where the frame scraped rocks. Rest of frame sides and insides are still factory black.

Changeling, I wasn't going to use just plain old paint. I was going to sand down and use a product similar to Eastwood Rust Encapsulator & then use an undercoating, products designed just to stop rust & prevent. Then spray with oil after it dries and cures. I only have small amounts of surface rust on the bottom rails where the frame scraped rocks. Rest of frame sides and insides are still factory black.

That eastwood stuff is awesome, we used it on the frame of my brother's 1980 CJ. 3 years of beating the snot out of it on rocks, mud and general 4wheel chaos and its still there. Wear a respirator because the vapors will make you loopy(and not in a good way).

Hi guys. New to the forum and just wanted to drop my two cents on the rotting frame subject. Let me first start by saying I'm Canadian. Live in Toronto, and yes, see a lot of salt and snow during winter. I drive an '05 Trd off road which I purchased used about 3 years ago with 44K on it. I've had this sprayed by Krown every year since I bought it. It now has 165K on it and running great. I brought it in for a Diff oil change today. They said it was never inspected for the frame recall..... Long story short. I've got a hole in my frame. While I was there they had an '06 and an'07 already in pieces in the shop with the same problem. I did my research on these trucks and was told this problem only occurred in the first Gen. ... All bullshit. I love this truck. It is the most capable mid-size available. Hands down. But if it rots in less then 10 years... All that love goes to ****. ...... Not only is the steel ****. And the so called factory rust proofing garbage. I've also heard that there are far too many spot welds on the frame which weakens the steel...what ever the case..every Gen Taco are rust buckets! ..........Domestic....maybe?
1 last thing.... It's not so much the salt people. Acid rain rots your vehicle just the same. Ask any rust proofer. The best time to spray your ride is the beginning of spring

I used 3-5 cans of AMSOIL Heavy Duty Metal Protector !!! Its a Synthetic Oil Spray with Rust preventer and wax like coating and works !!!Coat and recoat and recoat !!!I recoated mine 4 times! Go to AMSOIL Dealers and if you become a preferred customer buy at wholesale prices at 25% off retail and online! I use Chuck Gotleber on the east coast! N.J. /Pa. area.

I used 3-5 cans of AMSOIL Heavy Duty Metal Protector !!! Its a Synthetic Oil Spray with Rust preventer and wax like coating and works !!!Coat and recoat and recoat !!!I recoated mine 4 times! Go to AMSOIL Dealers and if you become a preferred customer buy at wholesale prices at 25% off retail and online! I use Chuck Gotleber on the east coast! N.J. /Pa. area.

Will it work for shocks? I have Bilstein 5160's on the rear. Already replaced the pass side. Just ordered a new one for the drivers side. At $265 for each I'd like to have them last longer then 40k miles.

Will it work for shocks? I have Bilstein 5160's on the rear. Already replaced the pass side. Just ordered a new one for the drivers side. At $265 for each I'd like to have them last longer then 40k miles.
Yes it will !!! and will not wash off!!! Go to AMSOIL online and ask for a free retail catalog,if you become a prefeered customer $10 for 6 months ,you can save 25% off retail catalog prices!I use to be a dealer and now a prefeered customer!

Yes it will !!! and will not wash off!!! Go to AMSOIL online and ask for a free retail catalog,if you become a prefeered customer $10 for 6 months ,you can save 25% off retail catalog prices!I use to be a dealer and now a prefeered customer!
Hot damn. I'll have to try it. I was thinking of line xing the damn things.

I have an 2008 Reg Cab 4x4 that is in getting its frame replaced, I have had no issues with the truck at all and was very surprised when it failed the frame inspection. I too thought it was just a 1st gen problem. I live in MI, maybe it is just regional now.

Back