From 08 to 13, what is the best for building into a solid, efficient recreational vehicle?

So I am looking into Tacomas from 08 to 13 and I am turning to you guys for your advice. Part of me is attracted to the 08 for the LSD, but would like to know what you all think of the electronic in the 09-. As well as if there are any issues that seem to be common on any of the years that have popped up recently. I'm just looking for the best advice possible on the year I can get. I know they're all good and with their quirks. But it sounds like the 06's and first gens are to be stayed away from if you take a critical eye to it. Don't hate me for saying that!

Also I am attracted to the access cab for fuel efficiency, maneuverability, can anyone personally attest to the differences between the access and the double?

We are talking manual 5spd/6spd ONLY. This, aside from the Tacoma being 4x4, is the only must. And hopefully not red but that's a personal thing. I realize the demand for manual limits my available market. I am also aware that once we go electronic, even if they come out with "manual transmission" for electronic vehicles, it will never be the same; knowing this all it will be all manual if I can until then. And I can here.

This is going to be slowly upgraded into a strong, "efficient", highly offroad capable yet non offensive on the road as far as ride or noise goes. To dominate Colorado. Alongside the WRX. American tools in my Japanese garage. Honda, Kawaski.

Thank you guys!

Back