Front bumper not detached on 2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road

kwheatley

I purchase my 2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road last week (0 miles) and noticed that the clips to the front bumper were detached. I took it back to service and they have to order a whole new bumper. They said they have seen this happen I some of the Tacoma's.

Anything else to watch out for in the 2018 models?

I purchase my 2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road last week (0 miles) and noticed that the clips to the front bumper were detached. I took it back to service and they have to order a whole new bumper. They said they have seen this happen I some of the Tacoma's.

That’s crazy. Good to know, Thanks for posting and congrats on the new Tacoma.
Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the new truck. I love the desert sand colored Tacoma.
This is the first I’ve heard of this issue with the bumper. Thanks for posting it.
I don’t know of any other things to look out for on the 18’s. But you’ve got a warranty so they got to fix it.

The same thing happened to me . Don’t let them do it the clips can be fixed and they can youse two sided tape . They ordered a new bumper for my truck and had it painted it did not even come close to the colour. I was so pissed off they took a new bumper of a brand new truck and put it on myn . So they lied to me that the clips can’t be reused on my old bumper and which had nothing physically wrong other then it was coming away from the truck to make money off of putting a new bumper on my truck. .

Thanks for the posts. RIght now I only have 100 miles on mine. I read a lot about the transmission and the annoying shifting have any of you experienced this in your 2018 that have put miles into it?

Thee's clips on the bumper on the right and left side that snap the bumper in. But you won''t be able to see them if your bumper is properly in place. My photo to try and upload was to big to show.

Thee's clips on the bumper on the right and left side that snap the bumper in. But you won''t be able to see them if your bumper is properly in place. My photo to try and upload was to big to show.
You’ve got to crop it or resize it to under 3Mb.

Had the same problem, Toyota fixed the separation. Take it to your Toyota dealer, they know of the problem.

Is this what you are talking about? If so I will take mine to dealer....only have 800 miles now but when I take it in for 5000 service (dealer is quite a ways from my home), I will have them fix mine.....looks like left and right sides have the space between the black and painted part of the front bumper.....Seems loose as it the black piece moves easily forward and backward on a limited basis but the space is there...maybe 1/4 inch or so max.

The gap on my truck is much larger. I took it in to have them try to get them to set. They couldn’t make it happen so they ordered me a new bumper cover we’ll see if it gets better.

Could’ve been a shipping issue...maybe

Thanks for the posts. RIght now I only have 100 miles on mine. I read a lot about the transmission and the annoying shifting have any of you experienced this in your 2018 that have put miles into it?

Not to scare you but I’ve had my truck stall out on me while entering traffic or completely shutting off. I took it to Toyota and fixed it ASAP I think I had 12k miles at the time, a lot of people told me about a recall on Tacoma World and they said they experienced similar problems. But I also have a 16 so im sure they’ve fixed that problem in 2 years. I have 37k now.

The gap on my truck is much larger. I took it in to have them try to get them to set. They couldn’t make it happen so they ordered me a new bumper cover we’ll see if it gets better.

Mine has a small gap too. I’ve tried to secure it. It’s a small gap but enough to notice. I guess I’ll be taking mine to the dealer too.

Congrats on the new truck and welcome to the forum.

Things to look for beyond fit and finish is the transmission and differential fluid levels and software update for shifting issued (make your dealership do it), loose U-bolts, u-joint grease zerks (dry); which you can do at home.

Minor improvements\fixes is shaving some of the bracket off the air plenum bracket, it rubs on a hose and relocating the drain for the AC, it drains onto the frame. Search YouTube for both of those...

I can't think of anything else I've come across yet...

Back