Front Diff Fill plug stripped

tacotaco88

Started doing Rear and T-case , I was on a role and feeling good till I got to the front were I saw my fill plug stripped and dirt AF. I tried to see if a T55 hex would work but it was a no go. Any solutions ? I’m looking for a welder right now to see if they can weld a bolt on top of both plugs so I can use a socket rather than a Hex key. I’ve heard that even if you get a new one you can’t really avoid possible stripping. Will post pics of what it looks like now and a after pic for the taco Fam

Stripped or rounded?

I somehow stripped the threads on the rear diff cover. I had a tap for the 02 sensors and it was the same thread pitch. Bought a new plug, ran the tap thru the diff cover a few times with lots of lubricant. Drained the diff, cleaned drain plug magnet. Installed drain plug, overfilled the diff, drained it again. Then put drain plug back in, filled to spec, drove about 10 miles... Drained and filled again.

Been fine for 15k miles now.

I have yet to round anything badly tho... Especially hex or torx deepset bolts. Maybe u can get it with a chisel and hammer tho.

Back