Front strut replacement

Discussion in 'Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation' started by Dain Johnson, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Dain Johnson

Dain Johnson New Member

I'm having trouble reinstalling a front strut on a 2004 tacoma 4wd. Strut seems too long. I have the spring compressed, and still can't seat the strut on bottom mount. Any suggestions?

tacomagirl likes this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. NapalmTRD

NapalmTRD Well-Known Member

Have you tried using the F word and summon every last bit of baby strength you can muster? Usually helps...
    What type of strut are you trying to install?

4. PinkTaco

PinkTaco Well-Known Member

Yes ive changed a few and their always tight, put the top in first making sure the bolts line up correctly( so the bottom of the shock also lines up with the bucket mount) have a friend stand an the brake rotor and push down with all their weight while you slide the bottom of the shock into the mount. Could also use a pry bar between the lower control arm and the frame to pry the arm/ shock mount down to fit it. Its a pain in the ass if youve never done it. ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1457478693.530634.jpg ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1457478704.398785.jpg

5. sfstud2002

sfstud2002 Well-Known Member

Looks like a possible quick lift strut.

6. PinkTaco

Mine is a bilstein on eibach coil, much harder to stuff in there than stock but same technique

7. kingkillah808

kingkillah808 Member

Where those strut and coil pretty assembled? And where can I get those lol

8. PinkTaco

Yea pre assembled from toyteclifts.com

9. kingkillah808

kingkillah808 Member

Thanks, do you happen to have the part number? Sorry for all the question

10. PinkTaco

When you go to website you have to plug in make year model, how many doors and if you got a winch bumper or not. Its better if you just go to site.

11. kingkillah808

kingkillah808 Member

Ok, thanks again

12. PinkTaco

No prob man good luck

13. tacomagirl

tacomagirl Member

following....

14. BigMau

BigMau Well-Known Member

I'm in the process of replacing the front struts on my 2009 Tacoma..
    How did you get your A-arm to drop down??? Did you remove your sway-bar??

15. PinkTaco

Yes remove the sway bar and didnt need to drop a arm much, left ball joints on too i just took the two lower arm bolts that mount it to the frame or whatever i can link you to a youtube guide that i followed. Take the sway bar off, take top three bolts on shock tower loose but not off( not the center bolt that holds shock in place), then take the two mounting bolts on bottom of lower arm off , then take out bolt in bottom of strut assembly and have a friend stand on brake caliper and push down as hard as they can while you slide old strut out. Reverse to put back in...... Check youtube for tutorial if you want but its fairly simple.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    BigMau likes this.
  16. BigMau

BigMau Well-Known Member

Ok.... I guess you really have to remove that sway bar?? According to all the youtube vids... the a-arm should drop??? I'm thinking it might have some nasty crub holding it up from all the crud Pennsylvania applies to the roads during winter.

17. PinkTaco

Yea might be a pain to get off

18. BigMau

BigMau Well-Known Member

Well... mission accomplished!! D#)@*A$ road salt... This job took a good part of the afternoon:(( However, I got the front shocks installed!!!!!

rec2570 likes this.
  19. PinkTaco

Glad to hear it