Front Wheel Bearings??

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Quarterhorsepower, May 14, 2013.

1. nj636

nj636 Member

no problem. i have been building and swapping these hub assemblies for 4 years :)

www.jerseybuilthubs.com

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. digger

digger Active Member

Take it from someone whos wheel has twisted off while driving, fix immediatly .my bearing was making no noise when it seized. Trust me you will crap your pants faster then you can say it when your wheel breaks off. Please don't wait.

4. nj636

nj636 Member

Agreed. I had one fail without warning on my 2005 Tacoma. I was lucky enough to only be 10 miles from home. It was dangerously close to damaging the rotor and caliper.

digger likes this.
  5. jaboltz

jaboltz New Member

I have a 2008 Double Cab 4*4 since new. I have about 69K miles and at the dealership today for brakes. They told me that the drivers side wheel bearing needs to be replaced. I think they are going to just replace the front hub since that is cheaper than pressing out the bearing. Can't afford that today, but based on other forums, its seems the MTBF (mean time before failure) on the bearings for these vehicles is about 72 K miles. Toyota is usually great about standing by the vehicles (frame spray, rear spring replacement etc. ) . I don't have an extended warranty so I am SOL - and going to be out about $450 soon.

BigMau likes this.
  6. BigMau

BigMau Well-Known Member

If you can "turn a wrench" you can replace your own front bearings and save some cash. Jaboltz... lots of info here about parts and process. Plus, Youtube has vids on this repair.

jaboltz likes this.
  7. nj636

nj636 Member

$450!

That's a lot for just replacing the bearing. I have 100% new assemblies for $175 shipped. Basic hand tools and a torque wrench is all you need to do the job.

jaboltz likes this.
  8. BigMau

BigMau Well-Known Member

Honestly, I was quoted close to $600 bucks for a dealer wheel bearing replacement. So, hand tools, torque wrench, helper and case of beer and the job goes very quick. Helper is optional... more beer for you!!

jaboltz and rec2570 like this.
  9. nj636

nj636 Member

Agreed.

If you have replaced the front brakes you are only 4 bolts and a 35mm nut away from replacing the assembly.

jaboltz likes this.
  10. scubascott

scubascott Member

I've got 325,000 miles on my 2003. I'm wondering when I ought to do a wheel bearing replacement?

11. digger

digger Active Member

When you jack up the wheel wiggle it top and bottom and side to side. If there is any play in it replace it yesterday

Bogunn and nj636 like this.
  12. nj636

nj636 Member

That has to be the record for mileage on factory bearings

13. kp.taco

kp.taco Well-Known Member

Yeah, my driver side bearing went at 100k passenger side is still holding on. I bought the hub assembly from blue pit.. EASY job...

14. scubascott

scubascott Member

Yep I did that and no play. I think I'll cross fingers on those. Talked to a guy that had 600k on Honda with original bearings so that gave me a little warm fuzzy feeling

15. scubascott

scubascott Member

325k on odometer but more like 350k Been running on oversized tires for a long time

16. nj636

nj636 Member