Full spare 285/70R/17 fit under stock location?

Discussion in '2016 + Toyota Tacoma' started by DCai, Jul 24, 2018.

1. DCai

DCai Active Member

Going bigger and was wondering if I could fit a full spare where the previous spare is located? Anybody happen to know?

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

Previously you couldn't fit anything much larger than stock unless you cut the legs that center the tire. I'm not too sure about the 3rd gen but I'm guessing it's the same.

4. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Biggest you can fit without modifying is 265/75/16
    You can’t fit a 285/70/17

5. OP
    DCai

DCai Active Member

OR17TRD likes this.
  6. OR17TRD

Like I said without modification... Let us know how and if you make it happen... And take pictures.

Bogunn likes this.
  7. OP
    DCai

DCai Active Member

Sounds good, will do!

OR17TRD likes this.
  8. Lil G

Lil G Well-Known Member

WTH are you going to hammer spring hanger?

9. OP
    DCai

DCai Active Member

I've read some posts where they fit without much modding,but I've also read some where welding was required. Guess I'll see when everything comes in. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

10. Lil G

Lil G Well-Known Member

It looks super close to the spring hanger on the driver side. The passenger side you have a exhaust hanger. Or I do on my truck

11. OR17TRD

12. TacoGal

TacoGal Well-Known Member

I had my exhaust hanger moved over just a tad... only cost me $30 bucks and mine fits perfect now

OR17TRD likes this.
  13. OP
    DCai

DCai Active Member

Thanks for the tip!

TacoGal likes this.
  14. scott.c.wickham

scott.c.wickham Active Member

I cut the legs off my ‘16 and fit a 255/85/16 under there. Never had a problem.

DCai likes this.