Future Tacoma owner (I hope)

texan_176

This will be my first truck ever. I have owned 5 Toyota/Lexus cars in the past so my expectation is very high for the Tacoma. Specifically, I am looking at the 98-00 model years. The ideal truck would be the 2WD pre runner with a manual transmission and V6 engine. Those are rare and I am looking to use this truck as a 4th vehicle so I'm looking to keep it under $5K.

I am currently interested in a 98 extended cab 4 cyl auto pre runner with almost 300K miles for $3,500. The paint is shot on the hood, roof, and fenders but I really don't care. The interior is in very good shape for the age/miles. Close to everything works but the ignition wafers are worn so the lock cylinder will jam on it. This is a relatively easy DIY fix. Also, the load sensing brake proportioning valve is leaking so that will need fixed before I can drive it home. The passenger door power lock is not working, the a/c button is jammed in the on position (needs new switch), and the underside of the engine is covered in years of oil leaking. All seals in this thing are now as hard as a rock so I would eventually DIY replace everything as a rolling mini restoration. It has a spray in bed liner but no drain holes so the rain just sits if you do not drive it.

Is this a good deal?

if I got it I would fix the ignition wafers, put in a new a/c button, tint the glass, and maybe put in an apple carplay style radio with an amp and better speakers (nothing too expensive). If I ended up loving the truck I would go through the entire thing and replace all gaskets/seals/rubber parts/mounts. Maybe I would have the problem areas repainted down the line.

The prices on the lower mileage ones are insane. The ones that sold in the high $20Ks new are still worth $12-15K 20 years later if the miles are low and they are V6 4x4s. Maybe I would get something like that later but I need to see how I like driving this cheap one first.

I love how "honest" the older models are. Everything is purely functional and it tries to be nothing but the truck it is. If I had known what I do now I would have bought one of these new in the late 90s.

This will be my first truck ever. I have owned 5 Toyota/Lexus cars in the past so my expectation is very high for the Tacoma. Specifically, I am looking at the 98-00 model years. The ideal truck would be the 2WD pre runner with a manual transmission and V6 engine. Those are rare and I am looking to use this truck as a 4th vehicle so I'm looking to keep it under $5K.

I am currently interested in a 98 extended cab 4 cyl auto pre runner with almost 300K miles for $3,500. The paint is shot on the hood, roof, and fenders but I really don't care. The interior is in very good shape for the age/miles. Close to everything works but the ignition wafers are worn so the lock cylinder will jam on it. This is a relatively easy DIY fix. Also, the load sensing brake proportioning valve is leaking so that will need fixed before I can drive it home. The passenger door power lock is not working, the a/c button is jammed in the on position (needs new switch), and the underside of the engine is covered in years of oil leaking. All seals in this thing are now as hard as a rock so I would eventually DIY replace everything as a rolling mini restoration. It has a spray in bed liner but no drain holes so the rain just sits if you do not drive it.

Is this a good deal?

if I got it I would fix the ignition wafers, put in a new a/c button, tint the glass, and maybe put in an apple carplay style radio with an amp and better speakers (nothing too expensive). If I ended up loving the truck I would go through the entire thing and replace all gaskets/seals/rubber parts/mounts. Maybe I would have the problem areas repainted down the line.

The prices on the lower mileage ones are insane. The ones that sold in the high $20Ks new are still worth $12-15K 20 years later if the miles are low and they are V6 4x4s. Maybe I would get something like that later but I need to see how I like driving this cheap one first.

I love how "honest" the older models are. Everything is purely functional and it tries to be nothing but the truck it is. If I had known what I do now I would have bought one of these new in the late 90s.
Welcome to the forum. If you like it and it’s in your budget and you want to do all that work go for it. 300k Miles is a lot of miles. You could be looking at a total rebuild. Rust and rot would be the main concern with something that old and high miles. She’s been around.

Is this a good deal?

Welcome to the forum.
I agree the older models are utilitarian and strong. Like @OR17TRD said, look at the frame for rust and check the body for repaired places, etc.
The old adage “you get what you pay for” is true with a truck also. High mileage trucks have a lot of wear on all components. If it’s a daily driver I’d be leery of something too old with too many miles.

Back