Gear ratio for 5” lift and 35’s

Discussion in '2005 - 2015 Toyota Tacoma' started by rkortan, Sep 20, 2018.

1. rkortan

rkortan Member

Looking at buying a 2013 double cab 4x4 with Icon 5” lift. Owner says it has original gears. Will the 3.73 gears and auto trans hold up for normal highway/town driving? I live in Tahoe 6000ft elevation, will this setup have enough power?
    What should I do to it to improve it. Re-gear?

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

5:29’s should help.

whippersnapper02 likes this.
  4. TacoKen

TacoKen Well-Known Member

depends on wheels and tire sizes. At 6,000 ft nothing runs good.....:(

5. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

You could also supercharge to help but sounds like it needs 4.56 or the above mentioned 5.29.

OR17TRD likes this.
  6. OR17TRD

I feel like the 4:56 would be to tall for the 5” lift and 35” tires 4:88’s maybe. 32-33” tires the 4:56 would be ok but I’d probably want the 4:88’s for 33-35” and 5:29’s for 35+. That’s if your goal is to get close to stock ratio.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  7. TacoKen

TacoKen Well-Known Member

8. OP
    rkortan

rkortan Member

I’m picking up the new to me Tacoma tomorrow. Now I’ll have to decide if I should change the lift to a 3” or change the gear Ratio. I think the price will be similar although new wheels may add to the cost. IMG_0925.jpg

9. OR17TRD

Congrats.

10. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

Congrats. Depending on how it's lifted, you may not be able to go back down to a 3 inch lift.

OR17TRD likes this.
  11. OP
    rkortan

rkortan Member

Took possession of the truck today. It rides and drives well. The tires are actually 32”. I’m gonna drive it a while before I decide how to improve it. Right now I’m thinking a set of 4:56 gears will probably get the results I want. I’ll be using the truck mostly on the highway going from my house to Tahoe over an 8000 ft pass several times a week. No high speeds but there will be snow.

B-Man and Crawdad like this.
  12. Crawdad

Crawdad Well-Known Member

Love the Donner Pass! If those are 32" tires, then that almost has to be a 3," lift, yes? Ie, there's no additional differential drop brackets? Which also means that no crossmembers have been cut? This is a good thing. Anyway, you live in Tahoe? You could definitely benefit from a gear swap. I lived in Reno for a few years and was always up at Tahoe or so many other places around Northern California. Anyway, I ended up switching to 4.56 gears fairly quickly in my 10. Definitely helps in those hills. You might want to look at 4.88 gears, I think, not positive, you can run those. Pretty sure 5.29 is way too much for your final drive ratio though.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  13. Crawdad

I was just on the flume trail a couple months ago. I was actually wishing for lower gears in my 17 with 285's on it while I was there pulling a uhaul trailer. Haha 20180813_114245.jpeg

OR17TRD likes this.
  14. OP
    rkortan

rkortan Member

It has an Ikon 5” lift. Yes the frame was modified and it had the drop
    Crossmember. It tracks perfectly so far. I got it for a really good price so I have room to spend if I need to.

15. Crawdad

If you ever think you would consider running a 35" tire, maybe you should look into 5.29's. Only want to spend the $$$$ once!

OR17TRD likes this.