Get new gears before doing anything to your truck.....

4x4Bo

OMG, if I only did my homework earlier I would have replaced my gears first. I added weight and put a lift kit with 35's on the truck. What was I thinking. Got rid of my stock rear end and front end gears and with my setup went with 5.29's. I cant believe the difference. Day and night..... the gear setup in the transmission is set so high in 6th that before, it just bounced around from gear to gear wondering were it wanted to go. Shift,shift,shift,shift,shift. Now it knows when to shift and what is really impressing me is theres a motor under the hood that actually has some umf to it. That's not a bad motor under there. I was going to put a supercharger under the hood thinking that would solve the shifting issues but changing the gears fixed it.... and better gas milage.... People, I'm just saying but save the money and change your gears before doing any mods to your truck. You will be so happy you did....... again, just sayin... by the way I went with nitro gears. Talked to them personally, great guys and learned alot plus only took a couple weeks for shipping from Washington State to Florida. I hope this helps some of you out there in tacoma world. Have a great week and take care everyone......

Sorry all, had some bad news but I'm back now. Like he said I paid around 1400.00 for gears etc, and with labor it came out to 2100.00. Best money I've spent on the truck so far.... by the way, 5.29's sounds low like the 4.88's but you have to consider how high the overdrive is on these newer trucks.

I looked up on line and factory the turd sport comes with 3.91 gears , and. I read in hot rod magazine an inch difference in tire height changes gear ratio about 10 points. So if u had 33s and went to 32s it would go from 3.91 to 4.01 ratio .I may go shorter tire next set and see what happens . like a 275/60/17 :)

I just received a quote here in the Denver area “ I would suggest doing the 5.29 gears to give you the best bang for your buck. You are looking at $3,000 for the gears out the door. If you would like to add a rear locker you would be looking at $4,100 out the door. If you do not have a compressor you will need one for the rear locker, that would be an additional $1,100 out the door. “. This seems a little high, does it not? The quote includes labor...I have a 17 OR...

I just received a quote here in the Denver area “ I would suggest doing the 5.29 gears to give you the best bang for your buck. You are looking at $3,000 for the gears out the door. If you would like to add a rear locker you would be looking at $4,100 out the door. If you do not have a compressor you will need one for the rear locker, that would be an additional $1,100 out the door. “. This seems a little high, does it not? The quote includes labor...I have a 17 OR...
Sounds like they want a lot to hook up a $300 compressor after charging prime bench time... lol

Seemed high to me as well, but the shop has good rep and is slammed with biz right now. Not sure where else to go or get quote.

Has anyone in this group created a database of good, reputable shops in the communities where members live? Is there a thread for this?
If there isn't, that sounds like a great thread to start!

I can't comprehend having 529 gears in your rear end.

Back in the day I put 456 gears in my 69 SS 396 4 speed Chevelle. Motor was far from stock.

I averaged around 80 miles to a tank of gas.
The Chevelle's final drive ratio, with 4th being 1:1, is 4.56.
The automatic Tacomas have a 0.58:1 6th gear. With 5.29 ring and pinion, the final drive would be 3.07.

* edit - having more fun...
Manual 3rd gen's 6th gear is 0.71 X stock 4.30 gears comes out to 3.05 final ratio.

4.88 will put me at 3.46.

Last edited:
Back