Great news

man.cave

Well I have 5700 miles on my trd off rd double cab and the last 500 miles the truck transmission has really changed. I'm not one of those guys who thinks its real or when u ask what kinda mpg I am getting and say "I can go all week on a tank of gas" what a dumb answer. I live in western nc and there is a section of interstate that I drive several times a week. Before hand the Trans would shift 6 to 5 to 4 to 5 to 4 etc the entire way there and back, it pissed me off to no end. The last few days it barely comes out of 6th. Never hits 4th. Take off feels stouter. The only thing I can think of is the warmer weather. I know cold air is better, but it has been pretty cold this winter. Temps been in 60s and 70s lately. It has put a smile on my face and for now not thinking about swapping for a manual. Mpg has been ave 20.x since new. Sometimes 22 some times 19 bUT strong 20 average. I really enjoy this truck for what it is but hated the transmission, so it if keeps down this path, I'll drive it to 200k.

Others have posted that the trany has its own learning curve and learns your habits over a short time not sure the distance though. Glad to hear you are loving yours now mine is ordered be here in a few weeks.

Your experience seems to be happening a lot across the forums with a similar report of the case of the shifting tranny is going to be a non issue as most have reported similar positive changes to its program after a short while.

As with any new next generation there are bound to be glitches and fixes and those of us who are brave enough to be early adopters we get the pleasure of helping our trucks and Toyota get a better user experience.

So thanks for the share! Man - Cave

Last edited:
I've got 3 weeks driving mine and about 3400 on it. Another 450 today. I had it at the dealership last Friday to check all fluid levels. They said trans was about 1/2 - 1 quart low , but, that's in specs . Supposedly they added fluid and said diffs, transfer case were good. I'll check everything, but, the trans this weekend myself. Searching at 60-75 mph between 5th and 6th seems to be less . Hopefully this continues to improve.

Same experience around 5K mi. I've heard this Trans controller learns your driving habits. It seems to rev a little higher between gears now (like I like) without up shifting so fast to lug/Eco mode. I still have the 2 to 3 second slide-into-drive in the am or whenever the Trans is cold. Fluid level is perfect. Wondering if this will affect longevity. I don't touch the throttle until it's fully in drive. Anyway it's logged as an issue in my Cust complaints with Toyota.

Back