Grill Swap/Grill Shell change?

Discussion in '2005 - 2015 Toyota Tacoma' started by TacoShel, Feb 7, 2019.

1. TacoShel

TacoShel Member

Hey all I am not exactly sure what I am trying to say here, but I will do the best I can with a description and pictures. So two things.
    1st: So I have a 2014 Tacoma. I have a chrome(yuck!) grill shell(See first picture of my truck), like the portion around my actual grill. Now I am no fan of chrome, or fake chrome that is. So what is the best way to change that part with out with the exact color match to my truck?
    2nd: I would like to also put in a black mesh grill (See second picture, not my truck) So my question is how do I go about doing both these things that make it look clean and color matches while also ballin on a budget?
    Anyone have experience with this?
    I can be pretty handy at times if some one can explain kinda step by step how to do it if anyone has done it before or has experience.
    IMG_2974.JPG fullsizeoutput_30b9.jpeg

mtl_76, Ricks2012 and B-Man like this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

Buy a color matched grill off eBay
    Buy grillcraft mesh kit

Cut the middle horizontal bars out, follow included step by step directions with pictures on the grillcraft website.

Step back, admire

4. Bojangles

5. Bojangles

It's not hard
    [​IMG]

Ricks2012, B-Man and OR17TRD like this.
  6. OP
    TacoShel

TacoShel Member

7. Bojangles

U could scuff up the chrome on yours, use self etching primer, spray it with duplicolor brand spray paint (look up your paint code), and then use a clear coat over the paint. I did that once, and one second in front of the pressure washer it blew the paint off and I had a spot of bare primer :(

You're welcome :cool:

TacoBOB77, B-Man and OR17TRD like this.
  8. kp.taco

kp.taco Well-Known Member

^^^^yup.. 20180523_165011.jpeg

Ricks2012, TacoBOB77, B-Man and 2 others like this.
  9. Bojangles

mtl_76, Jack Straw, Crawdad and 5 others like this.
  10. TacoBOB77

TacoBOB77 Well-Known Member

That's hilarious now im sure not when it happened

Bojangles likes this.
  11. Bojangles

It did suck... But meh.
    I just went online and bought a sport grill in silver streak mica. When it came in I swapped all my grillcraft crap over, chopped up some plastic and threw the old grill away.
    Been awhile now.

Hell this one even took an impact from a low flying hawk crossing 6 or 7 lanes of traffic while I was doing 70-75

OR17TRD, B-Man and kp.taco like this.
  12. kp.taco

There was a guy here on local Craigslist had a 2011 sport grill in silver streak for $50.. I was gonna buy it just for the hell of it but it was already sold

OR17TRD, B-Man and Bojangles like this.
  13. Bojangles

Damn good price.

OR17TRD, B-Man and kp.taco like this.
  14. kp.taco

Yea it was.

OR17TRD, Bojangles and B-Man like this.
  15. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

:eek:

Bojangles, B-Man and texasred like this.