Growling noise with lift

SamboTaco

Alright so I've read the 150+ pages on the ECGS front differential bushing replacement, just couldn't find my EXACT symptoms listed. I installed a 3" spacer lift in the front, and an add a leaf in the rear. I did the front 2 days before I did the rear. When driving with the front spacers, I didn't notice any problems/noises. Once I lifted the rear however, a pulsing growl was apparent. Between 20-30 mph is when it's most noticeable.. But keep in mind that it pulses. It isn't constant. Someone described it sounding like I'm driving on egg shaped wheels. I had this problem on my old tires, so I just got new Toyo AT/II 285/70/r17's with alignment and balance.. Still same problem. Les Schwab Tires is convinced it's a ujoint (I checked for play in these- none). Fat Bobs, of all the shops that I thought would have an answer, said that its my tires rubbing against the UCA... Really? Then why does it go away as soon as I put it in 4hi? Frustrated and looking for answers.. Anyone?

Check your pinion angle, toytec offers 3 deg rear axle shims to help realign after a 2" AAL. Seems to work good so far, more vibration than stock but less than without...

Did u ever get it figured out? I just did the spacer lift on the front and rear. And now get the pulsating sound.... I also got an alignment, but it didn't help

I bought the bearing after deciding that it would fix my problem and just haven't installed it yet.. Here it is the better part of a year since I installed the lift and had the pulsating sound/feeling. I was actually just thinking about doing it this weekend, it's just been sitting in the box since January. I'm pretty convinced that this will fix the issue. It's become a part of my truck that I don't really pay attention to anymore, but I might as well install the $200 part I bought. I'm sure I'll need a new CV as well now with the grinding. Gotta get it done so that I can get a better price for the truck as I'm seriously considering switching to an FJ soon.

So I take it it never got any louder? Mine is described as well like driving on egg shaped Wheels it is a pulsating that is consistent with speed but it is not a constant sound. Just wondering how long I should take before I fix it but if you have not fixed it by now I'm curious if it will get any louder or more annoying.

Mine hasn't gotten louder or more annoying. I read that the longer you wait, the more damage to your cv you're causing though. So I'm sure when I install the bushing there will be a lot of metal shavings in the old bearing and I'll want to replace the cv as well.

Back