Hard to start

HokieMan

Yesterday morning my 2010 Tacoma did something it's never done before. Hope this makes sense....When I turned the key to start it the engine turned over normal like it always has but instead of starting right up it just turned over for 5-10 seconds and did not start. The second time I did it the engine almost started and then the third time I tried it started. I drove it to work and it's been starting fine ever since. We had a lot of wind driven rain the night before so I was wondering if something may have gotten a little damp or wet??? Don't know. Thanks folks.

Sounds like a fuel problem. I say that because your fuel pump should build pressure as soon as you hit the key to start. Reckon fuel filter has trash or water? I will look at the 4 runner today and see if I see anything it v6 2008

The wife wasn’t home when I got home. Now I’m back at work I will check tomorrow

Hokieman I just started the wife’s 4 runner. I turned the key and waited for the fuel pump to pressure the line. Roughly 15 seconds todo that. You can hear the fuel pump the whole time till it quits. Then it took around 3 seconds to start. Try and let the pump pressure the line. Just a idea. I’m by all means not the Toyota guru . I apologize I didn’t try to help you sooner

This came up on Google from TW

"The reason why Toyotas in general take longer than most other vehicles to start is because they dont have a fuel pump prime circuit. On a non-Toyota, when you turn the key on(engine off) it powers the fuel pump for a few seconds to build up fuel pressure for quicker starts. Toyota is the only manufacturer I know of that doesn't have this. The good part is that, in the 4 years I've been a mechanic, I have yet to see a Toyota fuel pump go bad. On the other hand I can't count how many fuel pumps I've replaced, especially G.M. fuel pumps"

"The reason why Toyotas in general take longer than most other vehicles to start is because they dont have a fuel pump prime circuit. On a non-Toyota, when you turn the key on(engine off) it powers the fuel pump for a few seconds to build up fuel pressure for quicker starts. Toyota is the only manufacturer I know of that doesn't have this. The good part is that, in the 4 years I've been a mechanic, I have yet to see a Toyota fuel pump go bad. On the other hand I can't count how many fuel pumps I've replaced, especially G.M. fuel pumps"

Thanks Man, I appreciate it.

Hokieman I just started the wife’s 4 runner. I turned the key and waited for the fuel pump to pressure the line. Roughly 15 seconds todo that. You can hear the fuel pump the whole time till it quits. Then it took around 3 seconds to start. Try and let the pump pressure the line. Just a idea. I’m by all means not the Toyota guru . I apologize I didn’t try to help you sooner

Thanks Lil G, no problem. I'm not a mechanical guru by any stretch of the imagination either!!!

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the fuel pump on these trucks prime until the engine is cranking. @Bojangles @whippersnapper02
Right, from my reading the fuel pump depends on feedback from the crank position sensor. The tech who did my fuel pump upgrade said the same.

Pressure should be held by the system anyhow tho, when I replace my fuel filter (remote mounted kit), there is definitely pressure in the system lol

Last edited:

Thanks kp

If ur bored.

YsQl1Z.jpg

Perhaps built as a safety feature. In other vehicles, Get into a wreck and engine dies with key still on, fuel pump be pumping gas into broken lines or maybe even feeding a fire. Just a thought.

Back