Head gasket

Donnie1972

I have a 2009 Tacoma Prerunner 4.0 L engine. I have a l22,000 on it and my head gasket blew out. I have taken great care of and it’s never ran hot . Just out of the blue this happened. Has anyone experienced this. And is the worth fixing??

I haven't had this issue. I have an 09 as well. I'm only at 105,000 though. Yes it's definitely worth fixing.

The 3.0L and the 22re motors use to to it often. The 3.4 and the 4.0 don’t usually have the issue but it happens usually at least once in an engines life. It is worth fixing. Done right it will last at least another 122k Miles. Cheaper than a new Tacoma.

The 3.0L and the 22re motors use to to it often. The 3.4 and the 4.0 don’t usually have the issue but it happens usually at least once in an engines life. It is worth fixing. Done right it will last at least another 122k Miles. Cheaper than a new Tacoma.

X2
Welcome to the forum

My 2005 4.0 is head gasket is toast 200k+ miles. Idk how to change them myself or have time I ran sealer through mine amd it has helped not perfect but better. Still wont pull coolant from my recovery tank though so idk

If the head gasket went south you should check the head and block for warping and have the head magnafluxed to check for cracks. Most likely the head will warp and have to be surfaced. Not expensive but necessary to do a proper job. I would check if Felpro makes a head gasket for your application. Their gaskets are top notch.

As far as sealants, they are a poor substitute for proper mechanical work. However, a can of regular ground black pepper, 4 ounces or so, dumped in the cooling system will cure most any leak or crack.

Last edited:
Back