Headlight Restoration Kits

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by sokyjeepster, Jan 8, 2018.

1. sokyjeepster

sokyjeepster Well-Known Member

Has anyone had any luck with the headlight restoration kits available??

For "fun", I purchased a $10 clearance Turtle Wax brand kit to use on my wife's car. It seemed to clear up the haze just a bit, but after a few rains and car washes, it reverted back to the original haze.

Needs to be done again, but wanted some info from folks that have had good luck on similar products.

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Atomic Diesel likes this.
  4. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Sorry to tell you that ultimately replacing them is the best way to clear that up.

whippersnapper02 and kp.taco like this.
  5. @Daca_taco

@Daca_taco Well-Known Member

I'm in the market for some new housings right now... Can anyone share some links?

6. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

Oem, or maybe capa certified.

Cheap shit is cheap shit, remember that. Subpar optics are where they cheap out, along with cheap housings PEELING FROM THE INSIDE. Yeah, they have the inner clearcoat start to peel off and it looks stupid and u cant do a thing about it.

@Daca_taco and Bogunn like this.
  7. OP
    sokyjeepster

Yeah, but it may be traded in within the next 6 months or so, so I really hate to blow $400.

Bogunn likes this.
  8. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Go with the Sylvania kit then. It should last till you trade it. $18 as opposed to $400. Easy choice.
    If you plan on keeping the truck the best option truly is replacement with OEM or high quality lights and housing.

OR17TRD likes this.
  9. mcklovin77

mcklovin77 Well-Known Member

I've always used Colgate toothpaste and Windex. Only works for a couple months and then you got to do it again.

10. busch18gamecocksS&W

busch18gamecocksS&W Active Member

I used the turtle brand one, and it did absolutely nothing. Gonna just need to replace them eventually I think

OR17TRD likes this.
  11. OP
    sokyjeepster

I did order the Sylvania kit, ill post pics of the results once I get to it!

12. Sounds crazy but Using mother’s mag wheel polish on a buffing wheel and then seal with 303 protectant has worked for me. Takes no time . There’s some vids on YouTube . Sure saves from having to buy new ones

Bogunn likes this.
  13. BeGaK

BeGaK Member

If you have a harbor freight nearby get a buffing wheel and a stick of plastic buffing compound. Works great and last a few months depending on weather. It's also cheaper than those kits.

Bogunn likes this.
  14. OP
    sokyjeepster

Alright, so I finally got around to trying this restoration kit.

Before:
    20180204_113312.jpg

After step 1 (Sanding with 400 grit sandpaper (approx. 20 minutes):
    20180204_123113.jpg

After step 2 (Sanding with 1000 grit (approx. 5 minutes) then with 2000 grit (approx. 5 minutes):
    20180204_124032.jpg

After step 3 (applying the clarifying compound (approx. 5 minutes)):
    20180204_125359.jpg

Finished Product (after applying the UV protectant coat):
    20180205_064626.jpg

In my opinion, this kit is worth every cent of the $18 that the kit cost. If I have to do it again in 6 months, then so be it and I will order this kit again.......I can buy a whole lotta kits for cheaper than replacement housings. Anyway, I don't mind blowing a couple of hours in the garage adding to my beer can collection!

Thanks for all of the input!!

kp.taco, OR17TRD and Bogunn like this.
  15. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

That’s an impressive difference. Definitely worth a couple of hours.

16. kp.taco

kp.taco Well-Known Member

Thanks @Bogunn that kit worked pretty well. That is plasti dip on the before pic. I put that on awhile back to cover the horrible fading at the top.. 20180523_121457.jpg 20180523_120949.jpg 20180523_120858.jpg 20180523_102119.jpg

17. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

kp.taco likes this.
  18. kp.taco

kp.taco Well-Known Member

Just like new again. The clear coat/ uv protection they give you is awesome. U kinda paint it on with edge of rag and kinda smells like varnish lol

Bogunn likes this.
  19. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Looks like new ones

kp.taco likes this.
  20. lcarrasco212

lcarrasco212 Well-Known Member

Brand new again

kp.taco likes this.