Heavy, Long Cabover, What kind of Tacoma and Suspension??

Hi All,
I just joined to get some expert advice on this. I have a 1000 lb fiberglass cabover which I have set up on my 96 Tacoma 2wd, with aftermarket overload springs, no airbags or other juice. This was designed for probably a one-ton Toyota in the 80's. Love the space inside~!

Problem is, the 7'6'' length means that I'm always "back heavy" to the extreme. No weight on front tires, like a heavy "trip to the dump."

This makes it unsafe for snowy conditions, etc. I want to get a '09 to '14 4x4 Tacoma, and wonder if it is even possible, with airbags, etc, etc to actually even the load to front tires. I have my doubts, since lifting the rear can only go so far in putting weight on front? I don't want to lift it much, given the top-heavyness of the camper. Camper will come on and off, and truck will be daily driver.

Also, I am considering both the access cab and the "regular cab" configs wondering if one or other might give me better "balance" with the long camper. I heard the access cab will add 400 lbs to the vehicle, but maybe it is in the "right spot" to help my load config. I will go with manual and 4 cylinder, even though it is slow. This is my engine of choice, based on past experience.

Many thanks for advice on this. Looking at spending 20k and want some reassurance this will work!

Have you looked at the 2004-2006 Tundras with the 4.7L that might be a better option. They aren’t much bigger that the 2009 Tacoma.
If your set on a Tacoma it’s going to handle it about as good as your 96 2wd the payload and suspension really hasn’t changed a lot and some of those 2wd’s were made for hauling and towing with larger payloads and towing capacities.

Hi OR17TRD,
Thanks for this, including knowing that the 2wd I have basically has as good a suspension, which I was told was not true: that the 4x are stronger. I will only have that camper on a few weeks out of the year, so as a daily driver, I would like the 4 banger, and smaller truck.

Can choose a bed weight range for these leaf packs, https://deaverspring.com/product/tacoma-2wd-4wd-6-lug-2005-2018-expedition-series-spring/
I think I seen where they only lifted 1 inch?
Would definitely look for a 6' bed, which would probably mean an extended cab for a 4 banger, single cab with a manual and 4x4 will be hard to come by. Rear sway bar isn't a bad idea either...
https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=23732

Thanks for this. I will ask the spring company if they think this can work for me.

Spoke to the spring guy at Deaver. Very helpful. Says he can create any amount of extra lbs and inch lift to get the weight back on front tires. Many thanks Crawdad! And for $650. The links were for more "jacked up configs."

Spoke to the spring guy at Deaver. Very helpful. Says he can create any amount of extra lbs and inch lift to get the weight back on front tires. Many thanks Crawdad! And for $650. The links were for more "jacked up configs."
Shoot yeah!
There ya go.
The factory leaf packs would be hitting the bump stops or just riding on them after a few trips. I have the OME Dakar leaf packs, they do great with heavy loads but also give 2" of lift. I've heard great things about Deaver also but it was a spring under conversion and for added weight, sounds like they'll build anything you want. Nice to know. Lol

Back