Help me choose a new Tacoma!

Potss

Hello, newbie here with a few questions for you Tacomaholics. I am moving from a 2002 Toyota Tundra to a new (2014 or 2015) Tacoma and need to make a decision on how the Tacoma is to be quipped in the next week or so. It boils down to this; I want to get the cheapest options (in the short and long run so mileage and repairs are a concern) I can for the needs I have. The needs are as follows:

-I live 3 miles up (and I do mean UP) a bad dirt road in northern New England. I go up and down that road 5 days a week, year round.

-In the summer and fall I haul ~5-10 cords of wood with my pickup. The trips are into and out of my fields where I split the wood, to where I stack it at the house. The fields are decently flat, but can get a little muddy. With the Tundra (V6) I could stack the bed full to the windows and sides of the bed, and higher in the middle and I want to be able to do the same in the Tacoma.

-Other than that I do not tow and will not tow anything heavier than a small splitter, my John Deer does all the heavy stuff.

So here's the questions you knew were coming. 4I or V6? If I go V6, is ATRACK worth the extra 2.5Gs? Is ATRACK worth it (for my needs over just plain 4x4) to go from the 4I to the V6? Will I need to get aftermarket suspension to handle the weight of the wood?

I did search and I still couldn't decide, so all opinions are welcome. Thanks!

Always V6.

It's ATRAC and no you don't need it unless you intend to go wheeling. 4wd SR5 long bed sound like it will suit you. I would upgrade the suspension with something like new leaf packs or air bags.

There is a option that I didn't now when I got my 13, it's a 110 outlet in the bed of the truck. I really wish I had one.

Sent from my iPad using Taco Forum

There is a option that I didn't now when I got my 13, it's a 110 outlet in the bed of the truck. I really wish I had one.

It's not all that it's cracked up to be. It's ok but it will only run small things. Cell phone charger, laptop, small coffee pot etc. shop vac is a no go. I used mine a total of 3 times between my '09 and my '12.

Sent from my iPhone using Taco Forum mobile app

I agree, it's not good for much. I could not even run my drill on it. I guess it could be used for a work light.

I have one on my 2015 and it works good with my drill. But i will try different electric equipment whenever i get a chance and update you all.

Well I guess I'm not missing much then, toyota need to upgrade the outlet for working guys.

Back