Hood latch won't release

Discussion in '2005 - 2015 Toyota Tacoma' started by Wiscodriver, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Wiscodriver

Wiscodriver Member

I took my dogs for a run, got back in my 2015 AC, Started it and the AC up, heard a god awful screeching, AC light started blinking. I realized the compressor clutch had dies a horrible death and drove home sweating. Got home and tried to open the hood, Nada, latch won't release with interior control. Any suggestions?

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OP
    Wiscodriver

Wiscodriver Member

Really? Nobody can help me open my hood?

4. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Probably could if I was there.
    :(

Not sure what you’ve tried. Is the cable from the hood latch to the inside pull disconnected? Does the hood pop but then you can’t get the latch under the hood to flip over?

when you pull the hood pop lever inside the cab is there resistance? Is it just floppy?

5. OR17TRD

Just incase D36BA593-2C00-4E72-BCD9-D6AE711FD2A5.jpeg 75038CB9-DB0D-4A5B-BB0C-5F6FFB41DFBC.jpeg DC07FC3A-0A35-46A2-B17A-7BCE04D25807.jpeg

B-Man and TacoKen like this.
  6. OP
    Wiscodriver

Wiscodriver Member

There is some resistance when I pull the tab but the hood doesn't pop or release at all

OR17TRD likes this.
  7. JDC

JDC Member

OR17TRD likes this.
  8. OR17TRD

Step 3 was going to be my next suggestion

Step 3
    Check under the hood for a malfunctioning lock mechanism. You might be able to disengage the locking mechanism by pushing down on the end of the hood while an assistant pulls the hood release lever. If this releases the hood allowing you to open it, then the problem could be dirt or debris in the locking mechanism, a faulty locking mechanism or a faulty spring on the latch on the underside of the hood.

9. OR17TRD

Try step 3 you’ll need an assistant. ;)

10. OP
    Wiscodriver

Wiscodriver Member

Thanks, darn thing decided to pop open by it's self this weekend

OR17TRD likes this.
  11. OR17TRD

Clean it good.

12. OP