How has ownership of your truck been so far?

2009 "basic model" 4.0 automatic crew cab with 129,000 miles, I bought it six years ago with 84,000. I have replaced a CV joint, a carrier bearing and u-joint, an alternator, and Spark plugs. rear springs were replaced on a recall. it runs great and still gets decent gas milage (20+)
How does an alternator go bad so soon?
What battery # is your rig on?

Most mu

Most muffler shops don't use stainless unless someone wants a custom job, and even then you have to find a shop that does custom work on exhaust systems.
I have a shop. But I’m leery of a superior cat back system that actually exits.
I already have a rusted gasket coupling between the cat and muffler. I’m thinking dual ports off a single more throaty muffler

I have a shop. But I’m leery of a superior cat back system that actually exits.
I already have a rusted gasket coupling between the cat and muffler. I’m thinking dual ports off a single more throaty muffler
Depends how the system was built and what parts were used putting it together imo, if your seeing rust already. No exhaust systems last forever has been my experience.

Alternators can fail right off the show room floor. Take it from a guy who used to sell car batteries. I was always blamed first!! :confused::rolleyes:

do i possess a UniCorn alternator then?

current battery is 7.5 years old and still charging well last time checked tested

Last edited:
Depends how the system was built and what parts were used putting it together imo, if your seeing rust already. No exhaust systems last forever has been my experience.

the rust on the 304 pipes is a different type of rust? more like a discoloration rather than a gritty feeling when rubbed on?

the rust on the 304 pipes is a different type of rust? more like a discoloration rather than a gritty feeling when rubbed on?
I know what you mean when 304 stainless is exposed to certain chemicals....you get brown like surface spots. Usually a mild cleaning pad with a metal cleaner will polish them out.

I know what you mean when 304 stainless is exposed to certain chemicals....you get brown like surface spots. Usually a mild cleaning pad with a metal cleaner will polish them out.
Wish I could buy a new cat mount for this truck. It's quite weathered but no longer available
And it's where the brown spots on the 3yr old 304 pipe are appearing

Wish I could buy a new cat mount for this truck. It's quite weathered but no longer available
And it's where the brown spots on the 3yr old 304 pipe are appearing
You can likely buy an aftermarket from many like magnaflow, flowmaster, or even other online parts outlets. You need to be careful with the cheaper ones as they can set off your engine light after being on a short time. I had no issues with flowmaster cats.

You can likely buy an aftermarket from many like magnaflow, flowmaster, or even other online parts outlets. You need to be careful with the cheaper ones as they can set off your engine light after being on a short time. I had no issues with flowmaster cats.
I will check those out for a mount or I have much sanding and high-temp paint added to the plate that never ends it never does no light at end of tunnel :(

I love my money pit (um...er...truck). Bought my 2018 in 2020 with very low miles. Been building it up ever since. Unfortunately as I add lbs of metal to it, mpgs go way down and wallet gets lighter, but it's smiles per gallon, right? Definitely loving having a fun project vehicle (my first)!

Toss it. The battery is failing. Albeit slowly

i will give it another winter and see how it goes, last winter it was struggling at times in the morning on the coldest of days
unless i stumble upon a cannot-pass-up battery sale on a non-cheapo
then i must ponder if the DieHard battery of today is of near-like-quality as those of 8 years ago
should i switch brands? perhaps try out a Toyota-branded battery from the dealer

i will give it another winter and see how it goes, last winter it was struggling at times in the morning on the coldest of days
unless i stumble upon a cannot-pass-up battery sale on a non-cheapo
then i must ponder if the DieHard battery of today is of near-like-quality as those of 8 years ago
should i switch brands? perhaps try out a Toyota-branded battery from the dealer
Jury is out on those diehard batteries. My brother bought one for his spare van he uses to go play jobs for his band. He called me the other day to jump his van as his new diehard battery went dead. It'd only been in there 3 months. When he complained to auto parts where he got it, they only pro rated it. He's not a happy chappy...he wanted a new one at no cost.

There’s only 4 battery mfg. companies
Globe union,exide,Johnson controls & deka. Every battery is one of them with different tops pre molded. Or labeled something else. Interstate is globe union just like the sears diehard.

Jury is out on those diehard batteries. My brother bought one for his spare van he uses to go play jobs for his band. He called me the other day to jump his van as his new diehard battery went dead. It'd only been in there 3 months. When he complained to auto parts where he got it, they only pro rated it. He's not a happy chappy...he wanted a new one at no cost.
that is definitely sucky :mad:

There’s only 4 battery mfg. companies
Globe union,exide,Johnson controls & deka. Every battery is one of them with different tops pre molded. Or labeled something else. Interstate is globe union just like the sears diehard.

who makes the Toyota dealer ones? sometimes they advertise a 'deal' on them at my local dealer
99$ is the best i have seen

Back