How To: 2nd gen V6 Oil Change

whippersnapper02

Negative Nancy
I decided to make an oil change guide since we don't have one on here yet. This will work on all 05 and up V6 Tacomas. First let's take a look at the oil pan location. It seems that quite a few people pull the tranny pan bolt instead of the engine oil pan bolt. Hopefully this clears things up.

Oil Pan:

Tranny Pan(Auto):

Bell Housing up front and tranny pan at the back:

Engine oil pan location when looking at the truck:

Tranny pan location when looking at the truck:

Notice how the tranny pan is under the cab and the engine pan is between the front wheels. So basically we aren't working on a Previa. The tranny has the bell housing at the front, rear driveshaft out of the back(2wd) or transfer case at the back(4wd) with both drive shafts coming out of it. If you pull the tranny pan bolt you should not be working on vehicles. Sorry but that's the truth.

On with the oil change!

1. This is optional but I like to pull the dipstick out and loosen the cap so that the oil flows out a little easier. Does it work? Not sure but it works for me.

2. Drain the oil - Place an appropriate container under the drain area to catch the oil. I use a Fumoto drain valve to slow the oil so that it doesn't splash out of my container. If you still use the bolt then watch where it goes when it falls or hand onto it when you remove it. At this point I like to let the oil drain while I lube the U joints on the driveshafts(4wd only). I'll make a how to on this as well.

3. Oil filter drain plug - At the bottle of the housing there is a plug to keep all the oil from the filter from spilling everywhere. Pull the plug and use something to collect the drippings. I use a water bottle/coke bottle that I shove behind the lower radiator hose You can also run a rubber hose to the bottom of the truck. Some people leave that hose in the truck permanently.

4. Oil filter - I turn the filter until oil starts leaking out. I give it a minute to leak out before unscrewing it all the way. Be prepared for more to spill out when you unscrew the filter all the way. Clean up the filter mounting surface, lube the new filter seal with oil and install. When tightening the filter do not use any tools. The filter only has to be hand tight. No need to Superman it on either.

Dirty:

Clean:

Lubbed:

Installed:

New oil - Once the old oil has drained you will need to install the drain bolt or close the valve if you are using a drain valve. Just snug the bolt up or else you will strip the threads.

Make a check list at this point. Check that you installed the drain bolt, installed the new filter, removed the catch bottle from under the filter housing and reinstalled the filter housing plug.
Finally fill the engine with your favorite oil. 5.5 quarts on the V6.

Make sure you removed all tools that you placed on top of the engine, replaced the dipstick and replaced the filler cap before starting the engine.

I fill with 5 quarts and then start the engine so that the oil is distributed throughout the engine. Your oil light will be on for a second when you first start up but this is normal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDNSdb5hD8g&feature=youtu.be

After the engine runs for a few minutes I shut the engine off. After a minute or so I check the oil level. Usually my truck reads between the low and full mark but I add the extra half a quart anyway.

6. Reset maintenance light - On 05 to 11.5(I think), select the odometer with the engine off. The key can be in and turned to ACC but not in the ON or START position. After you select the odometer push and hold the selector and turn the key to on. You will see lines in the odometer. Continue holding until the lines go away and you see the 0's flash. Note: This works on all 05 to 11.5 trucks. If you have the white gauges from the factory then you have to select Trip A.

http://youtu.be/vBPmYAiWRNc

Pat yourself on the back when you are done. Hopefully you got the correct drain bolt to begin with. Notice that I did not show the oil I use. Why? You should use whatever oil you like. No debating on what oil is the best.

Last edited:
Nicely done, thanks for taking the time to post this up! I have the 2 year free maintenance warranty that came with the new Taco, so I am good to go for awhile. However; I do not believe nothing is free, just probably paid for it up front. ;)

Where I live the O'Reilly auto parts will dispose of the oil and transmission fluid for free (Again nothing is free, they make a profit on recycling). I just call ahead to make sure they have room in their drum container before I head over.

nice write up, I like the soda bottle idea to catch the oil in the filter drain. I messed around with a drain tube and it was a pain...:thumbsup:

Thanks guys.

Get it done! I have to go over this though and add disclaimers. Something like "I'm not responsible blah blah" and "DON'T START YOUR ENGINE WITHOUT OIL!!!"

The drain Valve is pretty cool. I like how it makes the directional flow of the waste oil. very clean!

This reminds me, I don't know where I saw it, it was a video of a blonde pouring oil onto her engine. It was funny

Back