Howdy from NM

Henry Wilkins

Long time Toyota 4x4 truck owner.
1st was an 82' I got with 75k on it & sold with 565k.
My currant one is a 98' I got w/36k & now have 328k on it.
My go to hunt & get were I'm going anytime rig. I'm a retired Park Ranger/builder who has a small ranch in middle of nowhere NM heaven.
Been looking for info to keep it going as long as I'm around,lol.
Found this forum as the other one I am on seems to be just race type folks.Been there done that too long ago.
I'm looking for info on what to watch & replace.
Right now the original suspension parts are my concern. Still seem OK,but do clunk about every now & then. Do not want it lifted,more a stock guy. I do not do much work on it myself & do have a couple decent mech's nearby. Most places are hrs away.
Debating replacing front bushings,control ends,U&L ball joints/control arms etc. with OEM Toyota parts,or replacements from Napa,which my mech seems to think are decent. I see alot of broken vehicles in his shop with fancy decals & lifts...lol. Any ideas?
sunrise 7 17 014.JPG

Welcome to the forum. Nice truck. OEM is good if it's worked this long for you stick with it.

Made by toyota for toyota usually is always best. Ball joints in particular. If you do steering rack/tie rod bushings any polyurethane bushing set replacement will make a world of driving difference, pro suspension makes affordable ones and they are good. If you haven't had enough fun under the hood you could swap your brakelines for steel braided ones and ditch the stock rubber lines. Maybe it's all in my head, but I swear my truck stops better... not sure how often you have your timing belt replaced, if it's been more than 100k I'd do it asap. For the most part they're bulletproof. And they love the blood of a mammal in the bed every once in a while[emoji6]

Back