Idle Issue

Discussion in '2016 + Toyota Tacoma' started by Gadget, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Gadget

Gadget Well-Known Member

Well my 1st issue on the new Taco.

With the A/C off the idle is fine. Right at 600 RPMs.

With the A/C on the idle goes to 1100 RPMs then slowly deceases until 600 RPMs the it almost dies before going back to 1100 RPMs.

Figure it is some thing like what we called in the old days A/C kick up RPMs so not to stall.

Any advise is welcome. Kind of a DIY type and also the dealer is 5 hours away...

Thank You,

M

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. jajlc070915

jajlc070915 Active Member

My 2017 off road dose the same thing.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  4. OP
    Gadget

Gadget Well-Known Member

Have you had a Dealer look at it yet? If so, do they just call it normal? Seems odd...

BTW - It does this with the trans is in park or neutral. Drive & Reverse it stays at 600 RPM

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  5. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

My 2017 does it too. I assume it's normal if they are all doing it.

6. rippsgt

rippsgt Member

Yea mine does it too
    2017 trd

7. Conceals

Conceals Active Member

Mine too

8. Duff49

Duff49 Member

Mine too. It feels like the A/C compressor takes about 30% of the low end torque when trying to pull out on an incline.

Bogunn likes this.
  9. Steepside

Steepside Member

Me as well!! Just noticed it today when I pulled over on the phone!! Thought it might be a common thing!!

Bogunn likes this.
  10. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Apparently they are all doing it. It truly does feel like the RPM kick up on the old 4 bangers from years ago when the AC was on.

11. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

I haven't paid any attention to this. I'll have to see if mine does it. I'm thinking yes.

12. mcklovin77

mcklovin77 Well-Known Member

My 2017 trd off road does it as well. Its normal. The last 3 vehicles ive owned did the same thing.

13. rrt1949

rrt1949 Member

I just think there is not enough torque to keep up with all the "stuff" that needs to be taken care of.

14. Orangejulius

Orangejulius Member

I've always felt there was a "miss" while at idle, but maybe it's the A/C dragging it down?

tomarx2taco likes this.
  15. dionnys

dionnys Member

mine does it but not all the time.

16. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

Well gotta remember theres quite a bit of drag on power when compressor engages (which of course explains the high idle "kicking in" but to the issue of almost stalling almost sounds like a stammer in high idle sensor or throttle positioning sensor ...