Is this truck worth it?

Discussion in 'Toyota Pickup Forum' started by OffroadTaco4x4, Sep 8, 2013.

1. OffroadTaco4x4

OffroadTaco4x4 Well-Known Member

I have really wanted a trail/rockbuggy because since I got my truck basically restored I don't want to mess it up anymore offroad. A guy has a 79 toyota truck with factory SAS, the only problem is the guy took the engine out cause he wanted to put something else in it, but then he lost interest. He said everything was running before he took it out. If the frame is ok what do you guys think should I get it? He is asking 800 bucks

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. MGMTacoLover

MGMTacoLover Well-Known Member

Here is my opinion I would buy it and use it off road but please be kind to it since there are led and less of these older Toyota trucks every year

4. OP
    OffroadTaco4x4

I defiantly wasn't thinking of using it as a beater, I plan on rebuilding the engine and maybe the tranny and do some frame work and paint it. I'm going to look at it tomorrow, hopefully ill take her home!

5. OP
    OffroadTaco4x4

Just bought the truck, it will be here Thursday! Paid 700 for the truck, engine, an extra tranny and t case, extra front and rear axles, extra bed, two extra doors and fenders. And for 80 bucks I got 4 t100 wheels with 31in mud tires with 20% tread left. This is guna be a fun project!

6. OP
    OffroadTaco4x4

7. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

Sounds like a decent deal. Good luck with the build.

8. OP
    OffroadTaco4x4

Thanks alot man

9. 808yota

808yota Well-Known Member

I think you got yourself a pretty good deal. Good luck

10. OP
    OffroadTaco4x4

Thanks man, I know this is Tacoma forum but I was wondering if anyone would be against me posting a build thread for this Toyota truck. I know it's alittle off topic but I know alot of you guys had one or still do have one and I see it as the "grandad" of the taco. If anyone doesn't want me to post it I understand.

11. 808yota

808yota Well-Known Member

I'm all for a build thread. I'd love to see the finished product.

12. HellaNella420

HellaNella420 Well-Known Member

Absolutely do a thread on your build up. I'd love to get an FJ-40 and do the same but theyre rare in these parts. And pricey when you can find one.

13. OP
    OffroadTaco4x4

Yeah fj-40s are freaking sick

14. HellaNella420

I helped my older brother build an old CJ-7 for a mean wheeling rig. I wouldnt be mad if i could score a decent one of those. I'd have his whole jeep club for help too.

15. OP
    OffroadTaco4x4

That was guna be my second choose, a 5 or 7 there are both cool. But I just really loved the truck

16. HellaNella420

Truck looks solid though. not a lot of those up here, but tons of 5's, 7's, yj 's and tj's. always was kind of partial to the old yj square light ones.

17. OP
    OffroadTaco4x4

Yeah there were only two on Craigslist in all of Tennessee this one and one other that was wrecked and pretty much totaled. No one wants to get rid if them anymore

18. 0795toyotaco

0795toyotaco Well-Known Member

ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1405991940.192161.jpg
    1990 Toyota pick up V6 5 speed SAS. 125k on BFG km2 35's. bought it today for $2000!!!!!!!!!!!

19. OP
    OffroadTaco4x4

Dang, now that's a good deal

20. 0795toyotaco

I thought so too lol needs a lil work. And some paint. But it runs awesome.

21. 0795toyotaco

I thought so too lol needs a lil work. And some paint. But it runs awesome.