Jaw drop oil change

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by TacoHog17, Oct 16, 2017.

1. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

I change mine every 500 miles and use soybean oil and a used dryer sheet. :D

cthetaco, Bogunn and kp.taco like this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Hahaha

OR17TRD likes this.
  4. rich

rich Member

So why does the dealer want my 13 taco oil changed every 5K

5. OR17TRD

It’s recommeded.

Bojangles likes this.
  6. lcarrasco212

lcarrasco212 Well-Known Member

I went to the dealer today to try and get an oil change at 3k. He said not till 10k. I said damn! Only rotated & balanced tires and inspection. Idk if i feel comfortable leaving it that long, especially since I don’t drive it much

Bogunn likes this.
  7. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Oil changes are recommended at 10k with the synthetic. Service appointments are recommended at 5k or at least every 6 months.

There’s multiple reasons: they keep a check on your truck to assess for any problems before a component completely fails and costs a lot of warranty money for Toyota; they make money off you; they get you in a dealership to look at new models and make you lust after one lol.

Crawdad and lcarrasco212 like this.
  8. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

I still change mine at 5k. I am sure it’s fine to go 10k but I just can’t make myself do it. Going to 5,000 killed me. I always changed my oil at 2-3k. But that was a different world when I drove 80’s model vehicles too.

Crawdad and lcarrasco212 like this.
  9. lcarrasco212

lcarrasco212 Well-Known Member

I’m going to do the same, every 3-5k. I’ll feel more comfortable driving pedal to the metal when needed

Bogunn likes this.
  10. TucsonSteve

TucsonSteve Well-Known Member

That how my 18 came home with me!

Bogunn likes this.
  11. Crawdad

Crawdad Well-Known Member

Is that what happened? Lol

lcarrasco212 and Bogunn like this.
  12. Crawdad

I do the same, I change it at the 5,000 intervals at home after the check-up.

13. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Actually it was kinda that way. I was getting my 10k service and saw them sexy TRD Off Roads sitting on the lot. With the premium and tech packages. I couldn’t stand it.
    I went to town to do some target shooting and dropped on over and bought the Inferno OffRoad.

lcarrasco212 and Crawdad like this.
  14. Crawdad

TBH,... I wanted the inferno off-road in a manual but it took so long to find the truck I have that it didn't seem worth it to wait for another option. Good job!

Bogunn likes this.
  15. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Thanks. Hence the short bed for me... all I could find within 75+ miles with the tech and premium packages I wanted was on a short bed. (They had one long bed in a white but based off the luck poor @OR17TRD has had I was gun shy).
    I’ve always loved the Inferno color but didn’t want to pull the trigger. When I bought the 2017 Silver Sport Long Bed I wanted an Off Road but they didn’t have any.
    Now I got the truck I truly wanted. And man I LOVE the OffRoad with premium and tech packages. It’s a different class of truck altogether.

lcarrasco212, OR17TRD and Crawdad like this.
  16. OR17TRD

Should have went with the white DCLBOR. SMH.

Bogunn likes this.
  17. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

I didn’t want to step on your game. Lol.
    And this is the truck the wife and daughter wanted and made it a point to let me know...... numerous times. Lol

OR17TRD likes this.
  18. OR17TRD

Always pleasing.

Bogunn likes this.
  19. rich

rich Member

Well I hit 5k miles in 5 months

20. slapshot

slapshot Member

Don’t use firestone,pep boys Walmart etc. find yourself a reliable mechanic, your local Toyota dealer or do it yourself if you can

21. slapshot

slapshot Member

And 10k with synthetic